Leaking butyl rubber liner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leak. My pond liner is old. About ten years now. It has a small(2in) crack which is now above the water line.
does anyone know of a safe, effective sealer or patch that I could try ?
I’m not going to change the liner now. It’s be too much trouble.

Attachments

• 26625E40-948C-4F05-ADB0-952ED691DDA0.jpeg
    26625E40-948C-4F05-ADB0-952ED691DDA0.jpeg
    229.3 KB · Views: 62
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Agree. Get a patch kit. But it's very important the patch kit is for the material your liner is made of or it will fail. For instance, if your liner was pvc and you used an EPDM patch kit, it will fail.

Scrub it real good with something like a scotch pad. Do a final cleaning with alcohol.

You say it has a crack or can it better be described as a tear?
Is the liner still pliable? If not, a new liner may be in your future.

Maybe it's just the way I'm interpreting it, but crack sounds like the liner is dried out or UV damaged. If that's the case, I'm thinking it might not be rubber, but maybe pvc. I could be wrong because I can't see a PVC liner lasting 10 years. They usually fail within months.
Can you confirm that it is actually rubber? Is it still soft and pliable?
The standard choice for liners is 45 mil. EPDM, which is thick rubber.

Reaction score
Country
France
Ours started cracking/splitting after a few years even though the so called guarantee was 15 years..we had no joy with the shop and just decided our time was better spent on a remedy ...We used an underwater filler gel, cost about £25 for a small tube in 2010/2011..too many years ago now to remember the brand...but it worked and there were several cracks and each one was repaired successfully...after 2/3 years cannot say as we switched Countries....

Ask a Question