Leaking galvanized steel fish pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I have a 6 x 2 x 2 galvanize steel tank. I filled it up with water and immediately began to leak. My question is can I use flex seal to coat the entire inside of the tank. Fixing the leak, and also protecting the inside of the tank from rusting. It says it is non-toxic, so I assume that means it will be fine with fish. Do I have to prep the galvanize steel so the flex seal will adhere to It and not peel off later? I attached a picture of my steel tank which is painted in a copper color on the outside.

Attachments

• A14ACB24-4220-420C-A9A1-17C4DDB4E517.jpeg
    A14ACB24-4220-420C-A9A1-17C4DDB4E517.jpeg
    281.6 KB · Views: 83
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't know anything about flex seal, but I'm sure someone will pop in here with some ideas. Your tank shouldn't be so leaky though as they are designed to hold water. Did you buy it new? Looking at the picture it doesn't appear to be the standard steel watering tank - is it already coated or painted with something?

I do know that galvanized tanks have been discussed in the past and there is concern that the zinc they contain is toxic to fish. "Non-toxic" may refer to their intended use, which is for cattle. I'm not sure that sealing the tank for leaks would eliminate that issue. Have you considered lining the tank with EPDM liner? That would be 100% leak proof and fish safe.

Welcome to the GPF by the way! What a pretty setting for a pond!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you are better off getting one of the stock tanks like I have they come in up to 300 gallons at rural king stores they are called tuff stuff

Attachments

• 100_4270.JPG
    100_4270.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 69

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used flex seal and it last for awhile but starts to peel in water after about a year and then it is a mess .I used it in galvinized .I thought I could make it watertight to put plants in and ended up just putting it as decoration by my drive way

Attachments

• 100_4213.JPG
    100_4213.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 68

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1609694814013.gif
@Jeannie Moore
Never have I used the stuff. You could try it or just put in a liner in it or buy a stock tank. I had an old piece of liner that I used in my buried galvanized tank. It's been fine for many years.
IMG_3882.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
but yours is in the ground jw ,Heat and cold against the sidewalls of galvinized tank can harm a liner

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know anything about flex seal, but I'm sure someone will pop in here with some ideas. Your tank shouldn't be so leaky though as they are designed to hold water. Did you buy it new? Looking at the picture it doesn't appear to be the standard steel watering tank - is it already coated or painted with something?

I do know that galvanized tanks have been discussed in the past and there is concern that the zinc they contain is toxic to fish. "Non-toxic" may refer to their intended use, which is for cattle. I'm not sure that sealing the tank for leaks would eliminate that issue. Have you considered lining the tank with EPDM liner? That would be 100% leak proof and fish safe.

Welcome to the GPF by the way! What a pretty setting for a pond!

Hi, thank you for responding. It is a brand new Tarter 170 gallon stock tank, made of galvanized steel. There were two different brands this one was more expensive so I thought it would be better quality. I just brushed on liquid Flex Seal, along all of the rivets, which is where it had a leak. I will let it dry for 2 days then try it out. If it works, I’m considering Painting the entire inside of the tank with the flexseal, because it is non-toxic to fish and will prevent rusting. I attached the Flex Seal application on my tank.

Attachments

• 971313C5-F10A-455C-B51A-D098A54F47FF.jpeg
    971313C5-F10A-455C-B51A-D098A54F47FF.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 62
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
If I had purchased a brand new tank and it leaked, I would return it forthwith. In my experience, the most expensive, is not necessarily the best.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I used flex seal and it last for awhile but starts to peel in water after about a year and then it is a mess .I used it in galvinized .I thought I could make it watertight to put plants in and ended up just putting it as decoration by my drive way
Oh no! Well, I put it on today, but I did scrub the entire inside with a steel brush first, then I rinsed and dried it. Did you prep it at all or just applied the Flex Seal?

Ask a Question