Leaking Pond...

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have a pond that continues to leak even though I recently fixed it up.

Initially had it painted and done about 5 years ago until the paint bubbled and sprung a leak. Cleaned it up, and used a grinder to take all the bubbles to clean the existing coat.

Then repainted with a trusted product which is oil based tar.........which worked well to fix up a few leaks that emerged previously. I used 3 coats with oil based tar / bitumen paint which worked wonderfully well.

However, it appears the problem is back again (less than 1 month after my beautiful makeover).

Is there a plastic spray or something that can fix this - when I looked at Bunnings, most of their pond paints appears to be water based pond paints which from what I can ascertain, cannot be used on top of an oil based paint,

Any good advice would be welcomed.

Thanks Tim

Attachments

• IMG_1854.JPG
    IMG_1854.JPG
    277.2 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_1853.JPG
    IMG_1853.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_1851.JPG
    IMG_1851.JPG
    229.4 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_1855.JPG
    IMG_1855.JPG
    260.1 KB · Views: 217

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Darn, that is a bummer. Is it just one area? or the whole pond leaking here and there?

Nice looking pond! And welcome to our group.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
http://www.pondarmor.com/

Alternately, simply laying a liner over the existing structure would seem to be the way to go. Add some padding between the liner and the existing structure. Old carpet works well, as does carpet padding.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
having worked this problem, i feel your frustration, especially when you have gone to such lengths to correct it. its really tough to troubleshoot a leak from a distance, so this information may not be helpful. my first reaction, having done the same thing myself, is if you have coated the pond so extensively, did the leak actually stop for a period? the test would be to turn off the recirculation system and let the pond water stand for a period of time to see if there is any drainage. if there is none, then turn the system on for a period to see if the water level remains constant, less evaporation. if that also works then the problem is probably not in the plumbing. if the leak returns with the same vigor, there are still several possibilities including a new leak.

when i worked my leak and recoated our plant ponds that feed our main pond, we knew the main pond was not leaking because we completed a standing water test and lost nothing. i recoated the plant ponds two products, the first was a sistern sealing product that is used industrially worldwide and forms a hard, impenetrable coating over concrete that actually swells as it dries filling the cracks and holes. the problem persisted, but we found three leaks at the seams of the plant ponds and sealed those. the leak slowed. i then coated with liquid EPDM that you can buy in home depot. after curing, the pond still leaked at the same, but reduced, rate and then we found the real problem. it wasnt in the plant ponds. it was where the waterfalls dropped into the pond and water was running back to the wall and flowing out between the blocks. these leaks account for about a half inch drop a day that we can correct with sikaflex if we choose; however, we use a continuous fill system with lake water, and the rate is about 10 percent a week so we really dont care as we change that amount weekly anyway. we just dont have to complete the drain step, as it is automatic.

the point is that water leaks are tough to troubleshoot and may not be what you think is the problem. its a tough puzzle.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Timbo123 - sadly Meyer Jordan passed away last December. But that advice was nearly two years old - is your pond still leaking?

EPDM is the rubber liner that most garden ponds are lined with. Liquid EPDM is the same product that you can paint on - not sure if that can go over the products you already used or not.

As for using a liner in a cement pond, most that I have seen will utilize a capstone of some type to hold the liner (and conceal it) to the top edge. There are a few members here who have used them with above ground ponds built with stone retaining walls - @Jimmy Gibson has one example. Here's his pond build thread:

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/new-pond.20531/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
looking at your existing configuration, a liner installation will involve removing your drain cover and input system to pass through a bulwark fitting in the liner that seals the join. it doesnt look easy to do based on your photographs, and doesnt finish troubleshooting your problem. you may find the leak is somewhere else that the liner does not correct.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
@Timbo123 - sadly Meyer Jordan passed away last December. But that advice was nearly two years old - is your pond still leaking?

EPDM is the rubber liner that most garden ponds are lined with. Liquid EPDM is the same product that you can paint on - not sure if that can go over the products you already used or not.

As for using a liner in a cement pond, most that I have seen will utilize a capstone of some type to hold the liner (and conceal it) to the top edge. There are a few members here who have used them with above ground ponds built with stone retaining walls - @Jimmy Gibson has one example. Here's his pond build thread:

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/new-pond.20531/
I visit this forum too infrequently. Thanks for sharing about Meyer @Lisak1 i always enjoyed reading his posts which were full of useful info.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@herzausstahl - it was a sad day for all of us here when we learned of Meyer's passing. I am always happy when I re-read older posts and see his name pop up on a thread. I'm glad that his advice has been captured on so many topics here for others to benefit from in the future!

Ask a Question