Leaking Pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All,
We bought a house with a leaking pond. It seems to be cement with lava rocks around the sides. I filled it to within a foot from the top 24 hours ago and now has 3 inches of water in the bottom. I have no idea how to fix this besides putting hydraulic cement in and around the rocks? :eek: Any thoughts or advice would be so appreciated!

IMG-1908.jpgIMG-1909.jpgIMG-1910.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

I assume no fish in the pond?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1582129515436.gif
@Coconutz
Can't help ya w/the concrete as never dealt w/it. Hope you can find someone here to help. If you can't fix it perhaps you could lay a rubber liner in it instead?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I also suggest laying an EPDM liner in there if possible.
An underlayment is advised for extra protection under the EPDM. Underlayment is a thick sort of felt type of material that you can buy with the EPDM.
If there are sharp rocks, etc. on the bottom that you can't remove, you might want to lay some sand first.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for the replies! I shop vacuumed the rest of the water out of the bottom today. There is also supposed to be a waterfall going into the pond. Here are some photos (the green spray paint marks just above the level that the water drained to).

IMG-1912.jpgIMG-1913.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well that looks like it might be a bit awkward getting a liner to stay in there right. No way to even know where that leak is either w/all those different rocky substances protruding out all over the place. Looks like the sides are straight up and down w/no slant. Maybe something will work but I don't know what.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah, it all looks very natural, which I think looks nice. But, I agree that it might be tough to put a liner in there.
If it only drains (leaks) down to a certain point and stops, at least you know the leak is somewhere around that level.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Maybe check out where it stops see if you can find a wet area. That might direct you to the spot to start looking.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was thinking of trying to inject cement with a squeeze bottle into all the holes and crevasses? Thinking that the crack must be behind the rocks in the cement, I guess. I also saw "expanding cement" at HD and was thinking that could help, but I don't know much about it. I came across a post here that mentioned "great stuff pond and stone" expanding filler, but again, don't know much about it. Have any of you used it before? Here is a photo from the back, looking toward the front.

IMG-1915.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yes, I think your idea of pond waterfall foam sealant might a good one since your pond is basically constructed rocks. It's definitely worth a try. A lot of people use that stuff to seal between waterfall rocks and to persuade water to flow in a desired direction. I believe it's color is black. You can sprinkle sand or stick rocks into it before it cures to make it look more natural.
Let the water drain down until it stops leaking. Your leak will be at that level. Hopefully it doesn't drain down too low. Shoot that stuff wherever you think it might help. Hopefully you get lucky and seal it up good. I don't know how much you get in one can or how much you might need.
Keep us posted.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Expanding foam isn’t water tight it is used In ponds to direct the majority of water over rocks instead of under. It won’t stop the pond from leaking.

That is a tough patch even if you can find the leak with all the jagged and irregular edges.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and look like you need to really put your inspector hat on to solve this one

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
[ATTACH alt="IMG-1912.jpg said:
From looking at your pic there are so many suspected areas that the pond could be leaking from your not looking at a fill this space or caulk this crack. Either a complete skim coat over the entire area under water or a new epdm liner would be the only options in my eye

Ask a Question