Leaking waterfall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I am new to this pond building business. I got given a pond pump so decided to build myself a pond and water fall. The pond is OK up to now. Just going to use it for frogs and newts etc etc and maybe a couple of goldfish. My problem is I made a 3 their water fall out of liner and Yorkshire stone bricks and Indian stone spill stones. When I turned my water fall on it leaked out of the sides of it. I had cemented the spill stones in and also the bricks with created the sides of the water fall. I cemented them straight onto the liner of the waterfall. I was wondering if the expanding waterfall foam would work instead of cement and keep the water contained with in the waterfall. Could you use anything else and is black the only colour they do? And how do you place the liner that goes over a small wall I built which the last spill stone sits on.
Thanks for reading
Steve (newbie)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Welcome. Leaking waterfalls are the biggest pain. We just got out pond rebuilt today to - I hope - finally end the darn leaks.

Can you get some photos to go along with your descriptions? Is your water pressure too strong?

There are people here with many years experience who will be glad to help you. I know your frustration - I've had years of it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
These are some.pictures of my pond and water fall. As I have said above the waterfall is leaking and is it OK to substitute.the cement for black pond foam.
Thanks in advance
Steve

Attachments

• DSC_0067.JPG
    DSC_0067.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 423
  • DSC_0067.JPG
    DSC_0067.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 361
Reaction score
To be sure it is completely leak free for years to come you need to re engineer it. I would pull it apart and start over by laying a liner under the rocks and over the top and sides. Once up high enough you can lay the bricks back on top of the liner. To get the sides high enough you may have to add one more layer of bricks to each step. An alternative would be to cover all the inside surface with something like Water Loc, hydraulic cement or another brand of basement water proofing compound.

Ask a Question