Leaky Pond

Reaction score
Something walked across my pond in the spring leaving a torn liner. It was certainly some large animal with big paws, my guesses include bear, fisher cat or deer, each tear is about 3-6" around. My pond is 25 feet around and 3.5 ft deep. In the early spring I didn't want to disturb all the frog and salamander eggs so I managed to let the pond get low enough to glue down some patches here and there. Since my ground is hard clay it takes forever to leak out anyway and I only had to fill it up a few inches here and there. Now that summer is over (sadly) and my patches have freed up considerably, I'm letting it drain down to do a better fix.
Since the footprints are in a linear path I was thinking maybe I could get away with just covering half my pond in a new liner. I would get a piece 20 x 10 and just try to glue the 10 ft side down. To make this more clear imagine a pie cut in half, the liner would fill one side completely and down the center I would glue it to the existing liner. I don't want to do the whole pond because I have so much flora, rocks and a waterfall, it would be such a huge job moving it ALL out of the way, luckily the side that's torn is the emptier side. Am I crazy (well that's probably a side issue)? Idea's?
Thanks.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome ekling211. I don't know. It would be risky gluing that much of a liner and not having leaks. I would worry that while it might last a year or so, you will eventually have to put in a full liner. There are definitely some more experienced ponders out there who will weigh in but I would be hesitant to try and glue that much liner and expect it not to leak. Maybe someone has some other ideas on how to fix your tears. Do you have some pictures, those always help. Good luck.

Reaction score
Thanks, once the water leaks out all the way I will post some pics. I did call this company called Pond Pro 2000 and they have this liquid rubber EPDM. He suggested I glue a patch and then use that to cover the whole area. Has anyone used this product?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I haven't. Do you have an idea of how to keep this creature from traversing the pond again? It would be terrible to get it all fixed and have the same stampede go through.

Reaction score
In this situation what I would do is cut out squares of the liner and repatch the footprints rather than throwing in a whole new liner. I guess once you can see the damage with the water gone, you will know best if that is a viable option.

Reaction score
I built the pond 7 years ago and this was the first time I've had this issue so I'm hoping it's a one off. Since I don't know what did it I have no idea how to stop it. I'm in the middle of the woods (surrounded by 800 acres) so I count myself lucky this is the first time. So frustrating having to continually watch the water level, it's a relief to let it all out at this point.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I would try and patch it first, you don't have much to lose....besides more water....which is already going on. If the patch isn't successful, then you'll know you need a new liner.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
ekling211
I'd do the patch small spots first and see how it goes. What's that goop stuff @addy1 and others here use to seal liners?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
pl roofing goop............I clean dry the liner, goop it up, put a piece of liner over the hole, then goop around the edges of that seal piece. Let it dry a little, done

1880fe44-26ed-4561-998a-eb18e143d0b6_400.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Loctite PL-S30 " is not recommended for underwater applications or total immersion'.http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/pl...-S30-Polyurethane-Roof-&-Flashing-Sealant.htm
Attempting to do a seam that long would not be advisable. Better done by an expert with the proper equipment. It will leak!!
You mentioned that your pond has a hard clay base. Have you considered applying Bentonite?
Meyer! I have seen you on a couple facebook pages! Welcome! You're knowledge will be an awesome addition to the forum. Feel free to introduce yourself in the introduction forum.

Seriously people this guy knows his stuff!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for the heads up, I don't use it for seaming, just for hole repairs. So far, even with total immersion, it has held up for 3 years in a stock tank repair. I put one of the tongs of my back hoe through it when moving the tank.

Ask a Question