Leaky Pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a pond in our garden built by the previous owners. It has a strong plastic liner built within a brick frame. After many years, the pond is leaking considerably but we can't find the leak. We've turned off the pumps, cleaned all the filters and the water levels have continued to reduce. We've allowed the pond to empty (moving the fish) but still can't find the escape route. It needs gallons of water daily to top up the levels. Is there anything we can try ie. bentonite (will this work on this style of pond) or relining or something else? Thanks.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1627832387370.gif
@STARFISH
Have you tried to fill up your pond and just let it leak out till it reaches the level where it stops? If you can do that you will know that the leak is right at that level and can search ever so careful around that stop line. Turn off and waterfalls, pump etc. If it empties completely than it will be a leak on the very bottom. Perhaps you have already done this if so then what were the results?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree with @j.w, Also, pics would help us see what is going on, to see if it is worth patching or just getting a new liner.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for replying. The water level is almost at the base after leaking for the last 2.5 days. We believe the base is causing the problem given the level it's at now so we're going to re-line it and hope for the best!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's not plastic based. It's a rectangular, raised from the ground, brick built pond with the liner inserted. I can send images but not sure how to using this forum.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
A new liner would be just the right thing to do! Just make sure there are no sharp edges or pokey things to puncture your new liner. I'd put in some padding first. Old blankets, carpet etc. to protect it. Some just keep the old holy liner in there and put holes in it and then the new liner over that. The holes are so no water can settle between them and make big bubble up (hippo's they call them) which could cause your new liner to float upwards.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It would appear someone loved this pond and spent many a hour getting the liner just so i don't see one wrinkle and that is a challenge in it's own right. But like @j.w said placing a new liner over this one is an option but where they did such a nice job with the liner i would find the hole. Cleaning the rubber thoroughly can help to show the pin hole if that's the case. Like was mentioned fill up the pond and everyday record how much the water drops. when it stops that is where the leak is. If you look at the results and every day for 3 days has 2 inch drop but 3 days later it drops only one inch per day would say the water dropped past one leak and is lowering to the next.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It's not plastic based. It's a rectangular, raised from the ground, brick built pond with the liner inserted. I can send images but not sure how to using this forum.
Oh, you said it was a "strong plastic" in your original post, so I thought it was a preform.

Yep, I agree with what's been said. If you can't patch the old liner, poke holes in it, lay some type of underlayment and then lay in your new EPDM liner.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK great thanks. Sorry I mislead in my explanation. Would we need to apply some sort of adhesive to hold the liner in place?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
OK great thanks. Sorry I mislead in my explanation. Would we need to apply some sort of adhesive to hold the liner in place?
Is the material stretchy? or does it seem not so much . if flexible there are repair kits for epdm liner. some have even used s30 by locktite and just caulked the hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We haven't yet bought the replacement liner. We're thinking of placing a new liner over the top of the existing rubber one as we can't find a hole, so hoping that a new liner over the top of the current one would seal it. Therefore we wondered if it need some form of adhesive to hold it in place?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The new liner will be a bit of a challenge to make as nice as is the one you have now, but a few wrinkles will disappear as the algae grows. the other challenge is to cut out the old mortar or caulking on the vertical wall and lifting the cap

Ask a Question