Leaky tubes

Reaction score
Hi,

Hope you can help (I'm new here, please be delicate :))

Just bought myself a Oase FiltoClear 1600 to help with the filtration of my pond as it seems my older filter requires a helping hand with the increasing size of my fish!
The FiltoClear is connected to my older filter and everything is running fine but there's just one thing I'm having problems with at the moment...dripping tubes. I have had to buy some extra tubing to connect the FiltoClear to my old filter but it's this new tubing that is dripping at both ends. The tubing is exactly the same as the tubing I already have with my pond/older filter and the connections themselves are really tight so I can't see where I am going wrong.
The centre where we bought the FiltoClear from did advise that we first applied some silicone to any tubing before pushing it onto any connectors. Do you think that this is all it could be? Are we just missing some silicone somewhere?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Regards.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Have you tried Jubilee clips to tighten up and clamp the pipe to the connector we use these for the rubber connectors connecting then too the bottom drain and to each other with no leaks in 5 years :).
We use Silicone ourselves on any removable pipe on our system in conjunction with the Jubilee grips and weve had no leaks:).
I wonder and this may sound silly but could it be something as silly as both pumps vibrating slighly out of sinc with one another causing these drips either end of the pipe between them Who know's eh but thats another area you could look into to see if it acctually is :confused: ???

Dave ;)

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, we have jubilee clips on both ends. I get the feeling that it could just be a case of adding a bit of Silicone as the drips are only once every couple of seconds, nothing major. The only thing is, if I want to use Silicone I'm going to have to get the tubes dry, add the Silicone, add the connectors and then wait 24hrs for the silicone to dry :(

Ah well, all things take time I suppose!

Thanks again!

Regards.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, we have jubilee clips on both ends. I get the feeling that it could just be a case of adding a bit of Silicone as the drips are only once every couple of seconds, nothing major. The only thing is, if I want to use Silicone I'm going to have to get the tubes dry, add the Silicone, add the connectors and then wait 24hrs for the silicone to dry :(

Ah well, all things take time I suppose!

Thanks again!

Regards.
Im not talking that sort of silicone the one we use is like Vaseline its called silicone gel I think plumbers merchants carry it or you could get it from a DIY store .
All you do is dip your finger in it rub it around the inside of the pipe and on the connetctor surface area slip the pipe on over the connector and tighten up on your grips

Dave

Reaction score
What kind of "tubing" is it? I have various sized rubber hose (like on a cars radiator) on all of my equipment. If you don't cut a squared of cut, it will drip. I don't have any clamps on my stuff at all. I had to fight to get the hose on the nib ends themselves. Removing requires a lot of brute force.

Reaction score
Me? No I do not. I physically took the fitting in with me when I bought my tubing. I made sure It was hard to put on before I bought it. In o rings, no silicone. Just pure tight fits. It has been like that for around 5 years. The only leak I have is from a lid that is cracked. That only leaks when I kill all the power to the pump, and for only around 1 minute.

Ask a Question