Leaping into bog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
My shubunkins have decided there must be something cool in the bog. They look like salmon trying to climb the rapids. One jumps completely out of the water but luckily lands back into the pond. Do I have to much water going to the bog that creates the streams they can rocket up? Fearing they will eventually get up there and then what. No water there for them. Should the spillover from the bog be smaller, less water?

Attachments

• D3A5D163-7C3A-4468-A519-78D045AF87CA.jpeg
    D3A5D163-7C3A-4468-A519-78D045AF87CA.jpeg
    265.8 KB · Views: 352

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your looks like mine, except I have more water flow. I have never seen one of the fish try to jump up it. Are there any bugs hanging out in the air there? I see them come out for bugs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
There are probably bugs coming down falls but they seem intent on getting up there.
I tried to get pictures of the show but I am to slow. All five swim up to the bog area and nose around out of water and then one leaps with tail wagging to fall back into pond. I just decreased flow through the
bog to see if a smaller stream would deter them. Still leaping. They do a similar thing under waterfall but I have not observed the crazy leaping.
Water conditions are all good except I still have green water. It is getting clearer every day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Maybe devise a net across the falls temporarily until they stop doing it. A stick on each side with bird netting stretched between them just at the edge of the falls close to the pond as possible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Maybe devise a net across the falls temporarily until they stop doing it. A stick on each side with bird netting stretched between them just at the edge of the falls close to the pond as possible.
Thanks Need to do some planning.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have 2 male Shubunkin that are 12 years old and I have never seen them jump!
They may not jump, but they sure are the horniest of all he males I have..they still chase my poor female koi for days after the male koi are done

Ask a Question