Leave a red eared slider in pond for winter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
HI All
I have a 3500 gallon pond. 4ft deep. Gravel bottom but only a inch or two deep. Large rocks and caves. Zone 7b. I put a baby RES in the pond in May. He has grown quite a bit since. Still only a couple of inches but doubled in size since May. Occasionally he eats Koi pellets when I feed the fish. There is also minnows, crayfish, frogs, tadpoles and plants in the pond that he could be feeding on also. I prefer to leave him in the pond for the winter. I don't have any mud to speak of for him to burrow in. I do have lots of places he could squeeze under. Any turtle keepers have a similar pond that have let them burmate over the winter?

Attachments

• IMG_1493.JPG
    IMG_1493.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_1482.JPG
    IMG_1482.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_1472.JPG
    IMG_1472.JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 173
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not sure, I'm mostly here to say that oh my that's a cute little turtle :LOL: :love:BUT I'm also in zone 7b and we canoe alot in the winter months and still see alot of turtles out then so it wouldn't surprise me if he was fine.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I’m in zone 7b, as well just in Maryland. First winter or so you are better off bringing the turtle inside, in my experience young turtles have a rougher time brumating outdoors. After it is a couple years older and larger it will be fine. Not to say it won’t be fine if you choose to do it, but keep an eye out for it in early spring as it comes out of brumation. You may need to bring it in , I had to do that this past spring with one of my juvenile terrapins which was 1.5 years old. It was looking rough, so had to bring her in for a bit and help her recover.

My adult terrapins have been outside in my pond year round for 10 years now, and they do fine, as long as they have places to tuck under to feel secure they don’t need a mud bottom to dig into.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have't kept turtles, but before I retired a mother brought turtle eggs into school for the children to watch hatch. She said she'd had turtles for years and she put a dishpan of sand at the bottom of her pond.

Sounds like @Jhn has turtle keeping experience :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am in zone 8 and would like to add 1 or 2 turtles to the pond.My question is how do i keep them from leaving?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I am in zone 8 and would like to add 1 or 2 turtles to the pond.My question is how do i keep them from leaving?
You will have to put a fence around the pond and bury the fence into the ground, so they can’t escape.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I hear they can climb also so better make it a non climbable fence.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hi Guys
Sorry about the late response. Thanks for the advice. I originally put 4 hatchlings in the pond back in May. One I found in bog area dead. Two I have no idea if they took off or died in the pond. I have one left that has been doing very well. Im leaning toward leaving him in the pond and hoping he makes it through the winter. I have a couple of months to make a decision. Thanks for the advice.

Ask a Question