Leaves, a problem?

Reaction score
My first year with a pond. I can see leaves are tough to keep out, now that fall is here. So far I have been scooping them out when floating. Tough to do with water lettuce on the surface. I also scoop them off the bottom but it stirs up all kinds of algae sediment and clouds the water for a day or two. Is there a downside to leaving the leaves on the bottom of the pond? Netting would be real pain to install and maintain.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if the leaves are left in the pond and settle on the floor, they rot and release toxins as they decompose, mainly ammonia, but also encourage the growth of anaerobic bacteria, which produces hydrogen sulfides(toxic gas)...they also release tannins which can discolor your water

Reaction score
First of all I second Koiguy1969's statements.

If you haven't plumbed for a skimmer and want a small skimmer that works fantastic try a no-niche. I love mine!

Attachments

• no niche skimmer diy Standard e-mail view.jpg
    no niche skimmer diy Standard e-mail view.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 250

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My little lily pond, no fish, no plants yet, so I did not worry too much about leaves falling in it. Anyways it has now brownish water from the tannins in the leaves, even though I netted a bunch out I am sure a bunch sank. Next year when the pond is functional I will net it when the leaves begin to dump.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If you want to get rid of the tint, use activated charcoal and in a few days of contiuous operation, the water will begin to clear.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
thanks, but I don't have anything going to that one yet. Just a 1000 gallon stock tank in the ground with water lol

Ask a Question