LEAVES!!! ugh

Reaction score
Anyway meant to post this awhile ago.

Ever since i built my pond i have had nothing but trouble with leaves. As you can tell in the pic below i cant really get around to the far side of the pond.

i had netting hooked on to the other side of the pond, really expensive netting. well like it did the year before the wet snow pulled the netting into the pond. i have to leave a net on it during the winter as i have a ton of aoks and the leaves will just keep piling up.

does anyone have any solutions, im pulling my hair out every year.

Attachments

• 10300319_10153832993109692_8682205927646322194_n.jpg
    10300319_10153832993109692_8682205927646322194_n.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 390
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
You could purchase some thick rigid PVC to put across the pond, to support the net. That is what we did over the winter. We also made PVC poles to support the pieces that went across the pond. Be sure and buy the larger diameter, the thin ones don't work! Hope this helps :)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I feel your pain. I do nothing but scoop out leaves October, November, December, March, and April. This fall I might put up a chicken wire fence since most of the leaves don't fall in, they blow in from across the patio.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States

Ever since i built my pond i have had nothing but trouble with leaves. As you can tell in the pic below i cant really get around to the far side of the pond.

i had netting hooked on to the other side of the pond, really expensive netting. well like it did the year before the wet snow pulled the netting into the pond. i have to leave a net on it during the winter as i have a ton of aoks and the leaves will just keep piling up.

When I upgraded from my first pond to my second and current pond, one thing I did was to make sure I had access to it from all sides, as my first one was against my house. That makes maintenance MUCH easier. But, presumably you're not going to dig a new pond to battle leaves. lol

I finally put a net up this past winter and it helped a lot. However, I was proactive about cleaning the leaves off the net periodically, and then once the pond started freezing for the winter, I removed the net. I did get a few leaves in once the ice melted and some leaves blew in during the spring, but it wasn't bad, just a few that could be scooped out.

Nice looking pond, by the way!

Reaction score
thanks max, yeah if i was to do anything with the pond i would fill it in and make it a garden.

the problem is i have a massive amount of trees around me, 4 oaks, 5 dogwoods plums, tons of wysteria, myrtles and that's just surrounding me and i am only on .25 acres NOT 2.5 acres.

Basically the leaves pile in well after the fall, if i was to leave it i would probably have at least 3 feet of leaves by spring. Thats what raking until mid december.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have 1 tree in my back yard that accounts for about 95% of the leaves and it shades my neighbors house. Thinking about taking it down....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom

Why not do what we haveorder a net from a UK company called Norfine nets yhey make nets to your specifications , your solution to the problem of leaves iss quite simple support the net like the net we have with Bungee straps , one across the pond to take the weight of your leaves , then its a simple maatter to clean them all off
The link to Norfine nets who do export should you have friends in the Uk or Europe :-

http://www.norfinenets.co.uk/about-us.php

I hope this helps you cure your problem

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
ill check it out, its not the leaves that are the problem its the snow weight.
I swop over to double thickness polycarbonate roofing sheets , they can take the weight of the snow and if you feel it gets too much in the way of weight of sbow you just sweep it off being clear it also allows sunlight into the pod

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
I wish there was an easy answer. I'm in the same boat--we are on .75 acre and we have a bunch of different trees. I did a LOT of scooping last fall and had to clean off the skimmer net twice a day. Even during the winter I would end up with leaves in the pond if it got windy--some leaves got stuck in the shrubs (I have the exact same shrubs you have--the yellowish false cypress and the shrub that is next to it). And then in the spring, the few leaves that were left on the lawn from the fall managed to sneak their way into the water on windy days too. And NOW in the spring/summer I've been scooping out the helicopter seeds from the maples, the flower petals from the flowering trees nearby... It doesn't end.

Acorn Ponds & Waterfalls

Ponds Done Right, Customers Served Right
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States

We build tents over our fish ponds in Rochester NY, cut back the plants and pull the pump out for the winter. Here's how we do it: http://www.acornponds.com/fall-maintenance.html

Ask a Question