Leaves

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have the same leaf problem on the pond by the house. I just waited 'till the majority had fallen, then went to work. This past Thursday, I managed to get just about all of them out. I scooped them out with the pool net, then sucked up the remainders with this:View attachment 135402

It works very well, and is not expensive at all.

Now, the pond out to the barn, gets pine straw. I scoop it out all the time. But I have to pick through it, and return what critters (tadpoles, salamanders, etc.) that may have been inadvertently scooped up along with the detritus.
I never thought of using one of those. They are inexpensive, but does it really work that well?
If so, you came up with a great idea, much cheaper than one of those pond vacs which cost hundreds.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
get window screening instead of net this way little birds and other critters will not get stuck in the screening like a pond net .I use a pool net

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I have the same leaf problem on the pond by the house. I just waited 'till the majority had fallen, then went to work. This past Thursday, I managed to get just about all of them out. I scooped them out with the pool net, then sucked up the remainders with this:View attachment 135402

It works very well, and is not expensive at all.

Now, the pond out to the barn, gets pine straw. I scoop it out all the time. But I have to pick through it, and return what critters (tadpoles, salamanders, etc.) that may have been inadvertently scooped up along with the detritus.
Do you end up with fry, tadpoles and frogs on the bag when you use this? I scoop and every net full i have to dig through and pull out the critters. My pond is 20x30ish so scooping is a never ending process in the fall and i feel bad using the vac and sucking them out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mine's pretty big too. That's why scooping doesn't work for me. Even netting is a major undertaking. I'm sure the skimmer gets some of tadpoles, but I think have enough to spare and so far it has worked best for me. I still scoop some; but not every day - sometimes several times a day - like before. And my pond is much cleaner. And I still have plenty of frogs - can't hear yourself think around here on a summer evening and can't walk without stepping on the little ones in the spring.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use metal conduit and sew pockets in my window screening and slide the window screening over the pipe and it is easy to put across and remove .The bridge helps also

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Do you end up with fry, tadpoles and frogs on the bag when you use this? I scoop and every net full i have to dig through and pull out the critters. My pond is 20x30ish so scooping is a never ending process in the fall and i feel bad using the vac and sucking them out.
It will suck up a few critters but they are not harmed, just pick them out a toss 'em back.

Ask a Question