Leaving pumps in the pond over winter?

Reaction score
I plan on unplugging pumps in my pond and taking the canister filter indoors but any issue to leave the pumps turned off in the bottom of the pond over winter. I don't see why it would be. I don't want to pull out the power I ran and hid the cables cleanly.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If your water is deep enough that it wont freeze to the bottom leave the pump in on the bottom of the pond
when pump seals dry out they can cause trouble when they are put back in service

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I think I would power it up once a week for a few minutes so the O'rings stay lubed. Also the motor contacts can get corrosion depending on the motor.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
koikeepr said:
They do sell an aquarium/pond rubber o-ring moisturizer precisely for pumps so they don't dry out... fish safe.

So do you dissasemble the pump to add this lubricant?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I would imagine that not all pumps can be disassembled. Something to look at before purchasing. This stuff may also helpt to prevent a shaft from siezing as well.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Last winter I left my water filter pump running all winter, and had no problems. I have found that during the winter months there is very little waste to filter from the water, but my thought was to create as much natural enviroment as possible. In a narutral lake or stream the water flow doesn't stop just because it's winter. In addition, the boi-filter will continue to do it's part maintaining the aerobolic bacteria as the temps change through the winter months.

I also used a submersible heater to minimize the chance of any of the plumbing in and around my pond from freezing up and breaking.

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
koikeepr said:
yes. then slather it on your o-ring.

Wait...What are we talking about here??:eek: This is a pond forum...;):beerchug:

I plan on pulling my pump out as well. Maybe fill a 5 gal bucket and let sit in there all winter. Anyone try that yet??

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Sweet Lew said:
Wait...What are we talking about here??:eek: This is a pond forum...;):beerchug:

I plan on pulling my pump out as well. Maybe fill a 5 gal bucket and let sit in there all winter. Anyone try that yet??

I would run it every few days for a minute or so. I have had pumps freeze up by not doing that.

Ask a Question