leeches in pond

Reaction score
ime asking this question when i think i kind of already know the answer, just want a different perspective on it, lets rewind back 3 years, i was cleaning out the pond and in amoungst some plant pot gravel i found a big red leech thaught it must be the only one, prob came on a plant, disposed of it (took it to the local marsh land) never thaught anything about it, now i havent cleaned the pond out since then, over the last few weeks i took some tadpoles (2) from the pons and i am keeping them in a tank in the kitchen and my 6 year old son ethan is keeping a diary of how they change and grow legs etc ! yesterday i took some stones from the pond to put in the tank just to give the tadpoles somewhere ti hide and investigate and swim round etc, when i checked on them this morning i discovered a small leech squirming across the side of the tank, so these leeches must have been in my pond for atleast the last 3 years ! ive never had a problem with any of the fish, can anyone think of a genuine reason why these leeches might be a cause for concern or should i just forget about them ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
you do get leech infestations from time to time but from what you are describing they shouldnt be a problem

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Although leeches may not be a pond problem I definitely do not like them. I do not even like the word leech. Btw, there are air breathing, walking and talking leeches.
Have been the victim of such. Blood suckers all.

Yea, if you are having problems with bipedal leeches, submerge them for about 10 minutes and your problems will be eliminated.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I had a few in my pond last year but haven't seen any since I did a full drain and clean this spring. I'm really careful now when putting any new plants into my pond. They are nasty creatures.

Ask a Question