Left over sludge removal in clean pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As previously mentioned, I had to thoroughly clean my pond this weekend after having both filter and pump fail before I went on holiday (before this the pond was not in good condition).

Reconditioned the filter, bought a new pump and spent 3 days emptying it and cleaning it.

Re-filled, fish back in, new plants all working, few bits to finish off - cut down pipe length to filter for one...

Unfortunately, the two and half days spent cleaning it was leaving me short on time to finish today, and even though it was 99.9% cleaned of sludge and stones, you can see in the picture there is some sediment and sludge on the bottom still.

Q. What is the best was for me to remove/suck up this sludge - I've know there are vacuums that can suck up sludge, but are these advisable for my scenario - likely to work?

EDIT - wouldn't let me post a pic!

Thanks

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I recently purchased a "POND O VAC" pond vacuum. I think that it would be/can be a good investment as long as you aren't concerned about vacuuming out small fishes and insects, etc.

Reaction score
The only other thing I can think of besides a vacuum would be to stir it up and let the filter take it out. It would take quite a while since a lot will just resettle.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks both.

It is a very old pond (I think min 15 years+), and looks like it is a white fibreglass material.

This means there is some discolouration, lots of faded algae stains which when cleaned still slightly shows.

When the black silt/muck and stones settle on the bottom, as it is white, it show up quite clearly.

Think I will invest in a vacuum and give the bottom a regular clean!

Ask a Question