Leopard frogs, anyone?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I've been considering trying to find some leopard frog tadpoles for my new pond, but several people have told me their natural population has been decimated recently...

Has anyone heard of this, and can possibly provide more info?

If there is a population problem, would stocking them in my small habitat be helpful or harmful to any efforts at repopulation?

And finally, assuming there are no other problems, can anyone suggest a source that would ship tadpoles if I can't get them from my local fish stores?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I found one Online resource that had leopard frog tadpoles last year, I sent three or four messages inquiring and never got a single response. So it could be true about the declining population, I think if you got them started they would inhabit your area. To me they are the Ultimate frogs for N.America ponds! If you find someone please pass the info on to me too. I can get green tree frog tadpoles. Not many but I probably have about 30 tadpoles of them right now and should have more by the end of season. They are breeding in one of my tub gardens so they should be disease free as I have only kept them with a few mollies for mosguito control and plants in the tubs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I emailed him, see what happens, thanks BTW, I'm asking him if he has tadpoles as that is what I would prefer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
For me, these were a common frog that we would see in our yards when I lived back in Iowa. In general, I like their color and their spots, plus they don't get very big, so they wouldn't seem as out of place around my little pond.

froglover - Thanks for the link to Wards. 25 tadpoles for $25 (plus $8 shipping)... that's a really good price! Just wish they had smaller orders available.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Malak said:
So what's so desirable about the leopards? Just curious...

they have a really cool pattern, they are native to my area so they can live here no problem, they have a cool sound they make and they don't bother fish. Also they get pretty tame as in the will sit right next to you if you don't bother them similar to tree frogs.

Reaction score
Shdwdrgn said:
For me, these were a common frog that we would see in our yards when I lived back in Iowa. In general, I like their color and their spots, plus they don't get very big, so they wouldn't seem as out of place around my little pond.

froglover - Thanks for the link to Wards. 25 tadpoles for $25 (plus $8 shipping)... that's a really good price! Just wish they had smaller orders available.

Tadpoles have a high mortality rate so you probably would not want less than 25.

Reaction score
I have ordered from them in the past and the tadpoles are small, but actually it is better because the younger tadpoles are not as stressed by shipping and can be shipped with less water. Also you can enjoy them as tadpoles a little longer before they turn into frogs.

Reaction score
I spent a frustrating hour this afternoon trying catch frogs in the wetlands. They are so skittish, it's impossible. They plop in as you approach and you can sit motionless on the shore for 10 minutes and never even see any eyes sticking out of the water. I may have to wait till I see tadpoles or just randomly sweep with a huge fishnet and hope I get lucky. But I may order some leopards also. Do they survive Winters below freezing?

Ask a Question