Less than one week with my fish...

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
It's been less than a week with my new Koi and Comets. Last night, I was laying in front of the pond and let my hand float in the water. All but one came up to inspect what was going on.

The Koi and one bigger Comet actually nibbled on my fingertips! I did manage to feed a couple from my hand. It's pretty amazing how quickly they adapt and get accustomed to humans.

I did notice that my golden butterfly Koi had a little (pin-size) red mark on his forehead; just behind the eye. It looked more like a bump or abrasion.

I'll try to get a photo of it and post it. I'm not too concerned at this time. The fish have been exploring a lot. It very well could be from going into the grotto behind the waterfall (there is a space/tunnel behind the waterfall that's about 1 foot deep) and many other crevasses.

I'm really looking forward to getting them to hand feed. It seems like the perfect time to inspect them without catching them with a net.

Also, I swear they have grown already! I'm not sure they can grow that much in a week, but they do seem larger to me.
Tim

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I get things like blueberries and pieces of strawberry and hold it in my hand in the water and they try to get it .I also buy the OSI treats from pet mountain .com .Blueberry ,strawberry and orange they love them

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I cleaned the lilies, they went crazy over the ants and aphids I rinsed off into the water................

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
If you can grow a little duckweed someplace it makes a good healthy supplemental food or treat. Their body is setup to eat continuously and having it around helps them get a bit closer to that.

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
I just ordered a couple of cups of duckweed. I think I'll have to set up a separate container for it so they don't devour it too quickly.

Ask a Question