Lethargic Red slider turtle

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had a REd slider turtle in my pond it comes and goes, but always has seem energetic when approached. It does have alot of furry algae on its plastron. It recently has seemed more lethargic, suggestions for diet other than turtle pellets?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, a couple of things. The top of the shell is called a carapace. Is that where you see the algae? The plastron is the underside. If the turtle is a pet, take a new toothbrush and gently rub off the algae. Use a steady trickle of water to rinse as you clean. It is fall season and getting cooler. They slow down and get ready for a 'long winters nap' this time of year. After say, late August/early September, I wouldn't feed it anything if the turtle lives outdoors. That is unless you live a very warm climate or it is an indoor pet.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As fall approaches, reptiles (turtles) go into a type of hibernation called brumation. It’s normal for them to “slow down,” eat less, etc. My box turtles are starting to do that now. In another month, they’ll be hunkered down under brush and topsoil……and I won’t see them again until spring.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, a couple of things. The top of the shell is called a carapace. Is that where you see the algae? The plastron is the underside. If the turtle is a pet, take a new toothbrush and gently rub off the algae. Use a steady trickle of water to rinse as you clean. It is fall season and getting cooler. They slow down and get ready for a 'long winters nap' this time of year. After say, late August/early September, I wouldn't feed it anything if the turtle lives outdoors. That is unless you live a very warm climate or it is an indoor pet. Carapace covered with Algae, I live in Florida its seems to come and go in the pond currently MIA but hopefully will return soon

Reaction score
Country
United States
As fall approaches, reptiles (turtles) go into a type of hibernation called brumation. It’s normal for them to “slow down,” eat less, etc. My box turtles are starting to do that now. In another month, they’ll be hunkered down under brush and topsoil……and I won’t see them again until spring.
appreciate the information...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay, not a pet and it makes its 'rounds' now and then. Yep, no food and I would not wash the algae off. It is a wild animal. Just enjoy its company when it does visit. If you want, you can make a floating basking island for the visitor. It could visit most of the year depending on which Florida climate zone your pond is located in. During the winter months, I see them sleeping on lake bottoms when scuba diving in the warmer states. Sometimes during a winter warm spell they will bask on logs.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is a great image made by Jennifer Idol in Spring Lake, Texas. Note the algae covering its carapace. It is natural so no need to worry.
scuba_diving_texas_drive_and_dive_turtle1016.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
When and if it returns to the pond I will send a photo...currently MIA or possibly at the bottom of this pond. Between the heavy layer of algae and it slowing down a fair bit I was worried it may be having breathing issues. Thanks for the info

Ask a Question