Let's see you bottoms (of your pond of course)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That makes 2 of us. I am going to have to buy a few each check. Now that I have an idea of everything I want so far. What i really need is a great reputable online aquatic plant provider and for anyone thinking their pond to let me know, I promise to pay it forward.
I posed that same question just this morning in the aquatic plants section. (Sorry I don't know how to insert the link directly to it here.) But there have been a few responses there already, so check it out. There are a couple things I'd like to add to our pond that I just can't get locally, so I'm hoping to find a reliable source as well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have several potted lilies, anachris from pet store, native grasses, and a tunnel that leads from an open area to the waterfall splash pool.

Attachments

• F74BADBE-C483-4A6F-B2AC-C10D9DED918D.jpeg
    F74BADBE-C483-4A6F-B2AC-C10D9DED918D.jpeg
    262.8 KB · Views: 258
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
The bottom of mine has a fabric planter bag of kitty litter - a planted pot that I accidentally knocked off of a shelf! Now it is just down there... I have a larger pot with a water lily too. That is really all that I put on the bottom. However, some anacharis has made a little forest - hornwort too. I started with them tied to smallish rocks and had them on the medium shelves. Two plants have also become borderline invasive, sending crazy long stems meandering all across the bottom and sending up stalks with leaves at the surface. Yellow heart (aka frog bit?) and I believe it's called water willow. They were pass along plants and I really like them! Luckily, they are easy to pull out. Periodically, I lower the water level a bit and just get in and pull.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Are you looking for submerged oxygenators like hornwart & anachris or more surface cover line you'd get from lilies or ever water lettuce/hyacinth? If I remember correctly your in Colorado so the water hyacinth/lettuce would thrive in the summer & multiply but die off in fall/winter. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
OK - I warned you it would be boring, but here it is! My pond bottom. My poor sad lilies - I divided them all and only kept tiny tubers. By next year they will be glorious, but this year has been cool and they are taking their time growing. I do love to show this view so people can see the gravel bottom stays very clean - I've only been in the pond once so far this year and that was weeks ago. And I haven't scooped a single bit since early April.

pond bottom.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are you looking for submerged oxygenators like hornwart & anachris or more surface cover line you'd get from lilies or ever water lettuce/hyacinth? If I remember correctly your in Colorado so the water hyacinth/lettuce would thrive in the summer & multiply but die off in fall/winter. Not necessarily a bad thing.
Both and I am actually in Utah the mountain range that causes confusion is actually the wasatch mountain range (if that is what threw you off). More do than oxygenators I am interested in looks and the underwater ocean type look. The waterfall will create plenty of oxygen. With the hornwort the oxygen properties are just an added benefit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
OK - I warned you it would be boring, but here it is! My pond bottom. My poor sad lilies - I divided them all and only kept tiny tubers. By next year they will be glorious, but this year has been cool and they are taking their time growing. I do love to show this view so people can see the gravel bottom stays very clean - I've only been in the pond once so far this year and that was weeks ago. And I haven't scooped a single bit since early April.

View attachment 112748
I love it and it's a wonderful balance with enough green and variation to have a very natural look. Thank you.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Both and I am actually in Utah the mountain range that causes confusion is actually the wasatch mountain range (if that is what threw you off). More do than oxygenators I am interested in looks and the underwater ocean type look. The waterfall will create plenty of oxygen. With the hornwort the oxygen properties are just an added benefit.

All I recall is seeing mountains in the background that made me jealous in one of your photos lol we see more glacial affects here which are still cool but not the same

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Best advice I can give is trust your gut & research. I'm a trial & error guy. Why I never gave anything "permanent " in my yard in case I decide one day to rip it out & change it which has happened a few times lol point is as long as whatever you add isn't too invasive you can always change it in the future.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would be very careful when introducing hornwart & anachris into your pond. I love plants and my pond is chalk full of them. Ill take an updated picture this evening. However, this year I have had to remove buckets of anahris and a fair amount of hornwart as it simply filled up the 2.5 foot water column and gave a place for sting algae to hold onto. I would suggest planing grasses in the bottom or lilies bare rooted. Of course you will need a gravel bottom for this if you dont already have one.

Ask a Question