Lets talk pond shrubbery

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Been using some Water Celery around my spire rock fountains with a little rush grass behind them.

I am liking the Water Celery with how it is small and bushy and green.

Anyone know of more pond shrubbery ??

((looking for something that stays under the 3 foot height level))

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
In or out of the pond and you would have to consider sun or shade and drought tolerant ,I love hostas and loriopi .They take a lot of abuse and since they come in so many colors they work great .Artemisia and lambs ear gives off a soft and fluffy silvery white glow

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I put some variegated sedges in my pond in a floater and a tall planter. Also like my creeping water primrose, one is more upright (stuck this one in a floater w/ screen and holes to contain this plant or it runs rampant) and one stays on the surface. Love the Parrots feather too.

Variegated Sedge
IMG_3908.JPG

Upright Creeping Water Primrose
IMG_3777.JPG

Ludwigia Water Primrose
IMG_3956.JPG

Parrots Feather
IMG_3957.JPG

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I like that Variegated Sedge. I like how it seems to gain a little height. Did ya get it online? Grr, garden stores here will not submit a new order for me until their current stock of pond plants are sold.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Just picked it up at Lowes and prolly H-depot has it also. It's very common. It's got yellow/ greenish stripes.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Actually think that plant is called a Sweet Flag and is a Rush type plant not a sedge but just look at the photo and remember what it looks like and you'll find it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A lot of plants it seem work in ponds that you may think of only landscape plants and you just have to try them out and see .I am now growing nasturshims in my pond and a lot of the grasses you can grown it the pond you just have to give them a haircut to keep them low ,they sure do a great job of cleaning the water .

Reaction score
Does this Sweet Flag come in solid green also? :question: Does it occasionally flower? If so, I think I have that growing in the front yard. It does reproduce as well and is a perennial...that is if it is the same thing. I have no idea what it is, but we planted it a few years ago alternating with the solid green of the same type.

:goldfish: :goldfish:

Reaction score
I'm trying Caladiums in the bog right now. They seem to be doing ok. We've got several different kinds of prarie grass and rushes as well as cat tails and some heavenly bamboo.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm trying Caladiums in the bog right now. They seem to be doing ok. We've got several different kinds of prarie grass and rushes as well as cat tails and some heavenly bamboo.

I put tons of stuff in the bog, a lot of it survives, some struggles

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
lol he's always messing up and now half his head is sinking! I tried filling the holes but guess I missed some................I think his days are numbered and might have to make some shoes out of him :razz:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol he's always messing up and now half his head is sinking! I tried filling the holes but guess I missed some................I think his days are numbered and might have to make some shoes out of him :razz:

make him a land alligator, mine is on the deck, the other one is going into the bog

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good idea addy! Then I think I might pick up one of the big head ones from Wal-mart for the pond.

Ask a Question