Lettuce and Hiacynths Roots - Trim or Not?

Reaction score
Thanks.
Was just curious because mine are about 18 inches long. Was wondering if anyone trimmed them for more swimming space for the fish. I have 4 koi only about 6 inches long and 13 mixed goldfish 4-6 inches long. I don't seem to ever see goldies eating the roots.I know...me complaining that they DON'T EAT THE ROOTS ENOUGH. :beerchug:

I read somewhere that you can plant them in pots and they will grow larger/faster. Anyone try that? Would be nice if you had a spot you wanted a group to stay in. Or maybe for spring if you wanted them to get a head start on growing.

Also, do you cut the shoots or deadhead (cut off old blooms) them? I have never done it. I always just let them do their own thing and compost the extras once they spread to a point that I don't want them at.

Reaction score
We kept our long as well. Better to suck up and use all those nasty things they are filtering the water for. Our Goldfish have also been eating some of the new white, crisp roots put out by the Water Lettuce. Early this summer, DH was wondering what that chomping sound was in the early evening. Recently I saw GF snapping off the white roots from the WL and eating them. They were making that sound! :luxlove:

Shoestring Ponder
CyndiMO

Reaction score
Roots? You mean Hyacinth grow long roots? I guess I have never seen that since my koi are always tugging at them and devouring them all. LOL Its getting close to the end of the season and most of the hyacinth are almost completely dead. They don't winter here any way. But thefish are definitely fattening up for winter!

Reaction score
What plants do you have? Hyacinths are tropical and won't live in our area. Many will make it through the winter as long as they do not freeze down to the roots. Let us know what you have and we can share our thoughts and experiences.

Reaction score
Hyacinths will not make it outside for sure. Take them out as they die off so they do not pollute your water. "One with purple flowers". Hmmmm. Is it rooted from the bottom of your pond? Did it come from someplace local? A picture or more of a description will help us figure it out. The only plants I bring in or throw away in my pond are hyacinth, taro and elephant ears. Most lilies, pickerel, lizards tail, water cannae, parrots feather, rush and cattails will make it through. Just try and make sure the roots do not completely freeze.

Reaction score
ok had a little trouble so go to my profile and the picture is in the album titled me its the only pic i have. thank you so much RSFISH1

~marino~

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The ones in the water do look like hyacinths. I was told they would not survive here in maryland either, they are a annual, put in every year. The purple flower may be pickerel rush, mine had purple flowers.. It is hard to tell in the pictures.

Ask a Question