Lighting

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
Has anyone tried floating solar lights in their pond? I am asking because we have purchased and used some that say they are waterproof but leak when we put them in the pond! Really??? Also, the ones that have worked (yes, we did get some to not leak) don’t work for very long. We are reluctant to put electric ones in for fear of them shorting out and electrocuting the fish.
I guess I am looking for ideas because my understanding is that they attract insects at night for the fish to eat. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I don't use any lights currently, but have had some in the past.
The ones I had were made by Tetra and were strung together and submersible. I used them both under water and above water.
They were 12 volts and had a transformer, so the pond was not exposed to (120) line voltage from the lights.

If you are using a submersible pump, then you already have line voltage in your pond, so consider that.

Eventually the lamps went bad and I never bothered to get replacements. Maybe some day I'll fix them.

Also note that any electric outside, exposed to the weather, including your pond has to be protected by a GFCI.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
I don't use any lights currently, but have had some in the past.
The ones I had were made by Tetra and were strung together and submersible. I used them both under water and above water.
They were 12 volts and had a transformer, so the pond was not exposed to (120) line voltage from the lights.

If you are using a submersible pump, then you already have line voltage in your pond, so consider that.

Eventually the lamps went bad and I never bothered to get replacements. Maybe some day I'll fix them.

Also note that any electric outside, exposed to the weather, including your pond has to be protected by a GFCI.
Yes, of course! I forgot that the pumps are feeding electricity in to the pond!

Ask a Question