lilies and new hakko air pump

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Can you believe how strong my new air pump is? It blasts the lilies to the side of the pond. At first the koi were afraid of it, but now they play in it's current:)

Attachments

• IMG_6238.JPG
    IMG_6238.JPG
    249.4 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_6235.JPG
    IMG_6235.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_6236.JPG
    IMG_6236.JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 369
Reaction score
Good thing your fishy's are soooo big! I need a good air pump too. Its so hot here and although the fish are not showing any signs at all of lack of air, I like to take precautions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Wow Tula, that is a lot of bubbles. :) I have a smaller pond air pump with no where near that much air flow. I use 4 air lines spaced around the pond. It does move the lilies some but nothing like yours. Fun to watch the fishies play in it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I think it's over kill...probably could have gone with the next model down.....but I went with what AZ Ponds recommended. Pricilla, you'd be amazed.....my baby koi love it....scrappy little guys!

Apparently there are ways to reduce the flow, buy you have to be careful of back pressure? I'm not terribly handy that way, but will investigate it more.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It looks like you have a fish spa tub there! Do you run it all the time? Your lilies may get a bit weary of being pushed around! We run our air pump from dusk to dawn and I do notice the lilies grow away from the bubble streams.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
It looks like you have a fish spa tub there! Do you run it all the time? Your lilies may get a bit weary of being pushed around! We run our air pump from dusk to dawn and I do notice the lilies grow away from the bubble streams.
The koi were afraid of it at first, so I ran it for periods of time, to allow them to get used to it. Actually running it at night is a good idea, I might try that. Just when I thought about turning it off....they started playing in it.

Yes, the lilies are not happy....and after I went to so much work to make them happy!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
It's all a learning/experimenting process. To reduce flow, what about an additional peice of tube and a t-joint right near the pump? Leave the t open?

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Wow, that is a lot of bubbles:D it looks cool though. I need to get an aeration unit for my pond as well... I thought about a venturi but my filter is pressurized so it wouldn't work on that circuit I wouldn't think. My option is either by a new pump or an aerator. I bet my koi would love to have more of a current to swim in :) How much did that thing cost you? It might be right for my pond size.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Wow, that is a lot of bubbles:D it looks cool though. I need to get an aeration unit for my pond as well... I thought about a venturi but my filter is pressurized so it wouldn't work on that circuit I wouldn't think. My option is either by a new pump or an aerator. I bet my koi would love to have more of a current to swim in :) How much did that thing cost you? It might be right for my pond size.

I bought it through AZ Ponds - they had the best price. Husband ordered it for me on line, but think it was a little over $200 and had everything included. It is a Hakko 40. I did research before hand, it is energy efficient and quieter than some other models. AZ Ponds had the best pricing, by far and you can call and speak with Neil for info!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
It's all a learning/experimenting process. To reduce flow, what about an additional peice of tube and a t-joint right near the pump? Leave the t open?

I'm trying to learn how to do just that! Last night I visited a neighbor with a 20,000 gallon pond....and he's an engineer:) He is willing to show me what to do and give me a start of his water celery and I'll give him my koi fry:)

Reaction score
How is the air pump going? How big is your pond? I bought a cheap aerator $40.00, its really made a huge difference in water quality. A lot of algae is gone now. Soooo in my usual fashion I figured if a small cheap air pump will help so much, a really powerful one will be life changing. LOL!

I run my aerator all the time. Does anyone know if that's a good or bad idea? Will I burn it up? Is it just meant to be ran in the day when its hot?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My pond is 1670 gallons and I have five koi and about 25 koi fry......which are not permanent residents - LOL. I love my Hako air pump and run it all the time. I've watched the koi go from being spooked by it, to now darting through it and swimming against it's flow.

I just ordered a very nice net to keep even small debris out of my pond . When it arrives I plan to don my waders and get in the pond and really net it out thoroughly and cut back my lilies. If I can, I plan to catch and rehome some fry, if not, I'll do so in the Spring.

I'm still debating whether I'll use my big Hako or my smaller aerator. When I'm in the pond, I'm planning on situating them both so I can swap them out easily if need be.
How is the air pump going? How big is your pond? I bought a cheap aerator $40.00, its really made a huge difference in water quality. A lot of algae is gone now. Soooo in my usual fashion I figured if a small cheap air pump will help so much, a really powerful one will be life changing. LOL!

I run my aerator all the time. Does anyone know if that's a good or bad idea? Will I burn it up? Is it just meant to be ran in the day when its hot?

Reaction score
I just ordered a net too. I'm not sure how I will put mine over the pond, as the last net was trapping iguanas and snakes. In my head right now, not my husbands head, I plan to net the entire pond, including the waterfall to ensure all my babies are fully protected from the heron and then build a stream for the birds and wild life to visit.

We will see.

I'm spending so much money right now, I think I just have to let this aerator do its job till it dies, then upgrade.

I am currently in the market for a new Mom Mobile aka mini van. LOL!

Ask a Question