Lilies in the Winter

Reaction score
Morning all. I hope you had a nice Christmas!

I had a number of questions to ask as we move into winter but then I found most of the answers reading the winterising posts!

Just one remaining then. Most of the leaves on my lily have died off with just a few remaining. As the weather approaches freezing and all the leaves come away, should I leave the lily plant root ball where it is in the pond in a basket of gravel or lift it out and do something else with it?

Thanks

Sally

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As long as your lily is low enough in the water the tuber will not freeze you can leave it where it is. I would trim off the large and dieing leaves, just leave the small leaves near the tuber. I put mine about 1.5 to 2 feet under water, that is low enough the water will not freeze that deep.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Taking lily tubs out of the pond is usually associated with locations where climates freeze deep enough to be a risk for hardies, also in climates with continental climates (hot summers, freezing winters) for tropical waterlilies, which are unlikely to survive cold winter waters of 40°f.

In temperate climates like England, hardy waterlilies are not likely to struggle where set below likely ice levels, they can cope with cold water

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
http://swglist.wordpress.com/

Reaction score
Thanks Addy1 and thanks Andy.

The root ball is about 12" deep in a basket on an upturned basket. I'll give it a trim and put it's basket down to about 2 feet deep on the shelf it sits on.

The filter box, the cascade and the surface skimmer are scrubbed up and stored away in the garage. The pump, the skimmer motor and the UV filter are all cleaned and dried and stored in the loft with a film of Vaseline on all the rubber rings.

It's very peaceful to see the pond with no pipework and no water movement.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good going, I got our pond ready for winter, but it never got cold, yet.

Ask a Question