Lilly Pot ?

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
In my pond build I am going to be excavating pot pockets to place place my lilly pots. Since once i do this I am basically stuck with whatever style pot I choose, i want to make sure i get it right. I am not sure why but i have been partial to the round containers over the rectangle. My local walmart has these cheap oil drain pans but they are only 4 inches deep. Is that enough depth? They are 7 quarts and I am not sure that is large enough, either? I want to buy one and use a template during excavation. https://www.walmart.com/ip/HyperTou...-Drain-Pan-7QDP-19-BLK/463320093?athbdg=L1600 . i also noticed my local Tractor Supply has these round 3 gallon "rubber" feeders which might be an option: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/fortex-round-feeder-3-gal-capacity-black

Open to any other suggestions as well. I plan on keeping Koi, not sure if that makes a difference as far as pot choices, but figured I would mention it.

Is there for spacing the lilly pots?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use standard nursery pots, with drainage holes, usually 5 or 7 gallon size. Besides being inexpensive/free and commonly available, they have a nice combination of features: They are sturdy like a tub, but drain when lifted like a basket.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I use standard nursery pots, with drainage holes, usually 5 or 7 gallon size. Besides being inexpensive/free and commonly available, they have a nice combination of features: They are sturdy like a tub, but drain when lifted like a basket.
Same setup here.

I will say that koi like to chomp on any plant matter they can reach, so just be aware of that and maybe plan for a mesh system to keep them out of the roots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
5 gallon? how deep or large is the pond that that's going into? or does the plant require a large pot?

I'm looking at water hawthorn instead of lilies, but seem like they need the same thing

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
5 gallon? how deep or large is the pond that that's going into? or does the plant require a large pot?

I'm looking at water hawthorn instead of lilies, but seem like they need the same thing
Oh I didn't see that they said 5 or 7 gallon, I usually use 2 gallon pots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use cat litter pans. I don't want to have to repot so often and those pans provide more space before the rhizomes start hanging over the edges. The lilies don't need deep pots, so those work fine for me.

Ask a Question