Lillys in bog filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I was wondering if Lillys would do well in a bog filter setup. Looking to build 3 ponds cascading down the hill and supply both with under gravel supply.
Can they be set lose in the pea gravel to help filter or do they do better in a container with clay/sand mix.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They need water over the tuber, like 12 inches. Some can handle 6 inches.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would be cautious about turning water lilies loose. Give 'em an inch and they'll take over the neighborhood. And I do think there are plants that do more for filtration that lilies. But maybe that's just because we keep them contained!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Give 'em an inch and they'll take over the neighborhood
No kidding! I had one jump the pot, didn't notice that it did. It only had around 1.5 feet of roots out and a tuber. It took my husband and I lifting to get it out of the water. Heavier than heavy! I now keep them well controlled.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
A garden vlogger that I watch posted video of their raised pond that had water lilies gone wild for years. When they finally decided to tackle cleaning them out, the tubers were thicker than tree trunks. They had to hack them to pieces under water so they could pull them out, a bit at a time. It was amazing. But also kind of scary! haha! Watch your lilies folks!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I let none run free. They are night creepers, day creepers next thing you know they control the pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I am easily confused so sorry for asking this but are you talking about water Lillie’s in the bog or some other lilly

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I am easily confused so sorry for asking this but are you talking about water Lillie’s in the bog or some other lilly
Water lillies. They will spread as far as they can, as far as they can grow depth and media wise. Which is why you see them all over in ponds that they were planted in. They take over all but the deepest parts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I was planning on a filtering pond just with lillys. There would also be a bog for filtering as well. Was thinking if they where force fed water from the main pond they would do well. Both ponds would drain back to a main pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do we need to worry about bog plant roots invading the water pipes delivering the water?
I have not had any roots invade. Most of my bog plants are shallow rooted, spread by runners. The only plants that had longer roots were the grasses/rushes.

Ask a Question