Lily pad tubers

Reaction score
How long do lily pad tubers take to grow up to the surface? I have them planted in pots about 18 inches deep, and they have appx 2-4 inch growth, but they don't seem to be growing any more. How long does it take? Thanks!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
At the beginning of the year seems like forever. But to be honest I have never timed them. If they are newly potted bring them into shallower water if you can, more sun, more warmth, they grow faster.

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I bought a lily that already had leaves and submerged it. I estimate the growth was coming up at about .5 to 1 inch per day. All the pads are on the surface, w/ new ones coming up at around the same speed.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What do you have it in? pea gravel, kittly litter, or bare root? Did you keep the growing tip uncovered? If you cover up the growing tip they will rot and die.

Reaction score
They're potted in kitty litter, they all had small sprouts on them when I planted them, so I left that end protruding, after reading guides on how to plant them. I've found a couple broken off and floating....so I suspect my fish have started tearing them off as well... >.>

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I've been told they're heavy feeders so I stuck 2 feed tabs in the soil right away and have been/will be adding 1 a month. Apparently Laguna makes a once a year feed spike also.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you have koi they will enjoy tearing up the lilies. My goldfish leave them alone.

Reaction score
Well I just added 3 baby koi about a week ago, and now I'm seeing this damage to the lilies that do sprout...there was 2 more sprouts ripped off today. Is there ANYTHING they won't destroy? Lol. I know they eat my water lettuce and what little I had in there of duckweed. I knew that beforehand though, it overflows in my fish tanks, so I put the overgrowth in there for the fish to munch. I didn't know they'd bug the lilies though...

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
From what I read Koi and pond plants don't mix. That is one reason I stuck with goldfish, I wanted to have plants in my pond.

Reaction score
The tubers are the base they will not come to the surface the blooms and the leaves will. They can get root bound just like any other plant and this will slow them down. They need to be fertilized as well.
Shannonpwns said:
How long do lily pad tubers take to grow up to the surface? I have them planted in pots about 18 inches deep, and they have appx 2-4 inch growth, but they don't seem to be growing any more. How long does it take? Thanks!

Reaction score
From what I read Koi and pond plants don't mix. That is one reason I stuck with goldfish, I wanted to have plants in my pond.

Thanks you just cemented my decision to not get a butterfly koi!!! I keep changing my mind but I want plants as much as I want fish!!! I own one 4" yellow koi now so if he causes me issues he will be given to one of my friends ponds!!!

Ask a Question