Lily pads water lilies

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Can anyone educate me on having and keeping Lily pads or water lilies (are they the same thing lol) I live an hour north of Toronto Canada. I have a shallow pond about 18’ by 6’ by 1.5-2.0 deep. I have goldfish and have finally managed to keep them alive through the winter with the use of a bubbler and small ring heater (which doesn’t do much) I’ve always wanted lily pads but they are too expensive to keep buying every year but now that the bubbler keeps things open I’m thinking I might start investing in some. How do you care for them and will they winter in the pond under the ice? What are some other plants for in the water I.e. not marginals that we’ll come back year after year. Thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The lily tubers need to be kept from freezing. If you have hardy ones they can handle the cold water, but not freezing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
So I guess you’re saying as long as the fish can live (as in there’s unfrozen water below, the lilies will be ok as long as they’re Hardy ones?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So I guess you’re saying as long as the fish can live (as in there’s unfrozen water below, the lilies will be ok as long as they’re Hardy ones?
Yes they should be ok. I remove all dead leaves, stems etc. Put the tubers low enough no ice hits them.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Colorado is a great bloomer and a tough lily. Perry's orange sunset. both grow great, bloom a lot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Mine survived 4 inches of ice this winter and are just stunning this year so I'll have to give a plug for the Wanvisa Hardy Red. I got mine on amazon- cheap too! The blooms start off pale and get darker over
P1020118.JPG
the next couple of days. Good luck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Well that’s very encouraging. I hope I can find them here in Ontario
You might want to check if there's a local pond store, plant nursery, or garden shop that sells native water lilies (native to Ontario). Good luck.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Just don't cut off the tiny pads, buds from the tuber as those will be next seasons blooms. If you cut them off no more lily! Just cut the old dead ones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Thanks. They’re is a garden Center I go to near me but they always seem to get their pond plants in so late and then they go so fast. Last year there were two lilies left and they both looked half dead. Don’t know if they were local either. I’ll research a bit more. I’m sure there’s got to be a website somewhere that will tell me what types are native to Ontario. Do you have any suggestions for plants for a gravel bog filter. I had creeping Jenny and it seemed to do well but didn’t come back. I know it’s important for them not to have too invasive a root system so they don’t clog the pipes but I would think they have to be abundant enough to actually do some filtering

Ask a Question