Lily pads

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Hi, what do you do with lily pads during the winter? I think I remember to take the pot out of the pond and cut plants down and place in a plastic bag... ? Is that you need to do with them?
Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
Depends on the lily, tropical water lilies need to be taken out and stored above freezing. I've never had any luck with tropical water lilies, so I'll not offer advice on them. Tropicals are generally the pretty more colorful ones. Hardy water lilies just need to be kept underwater and below ice over the winter.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, like @budgenator said, winter-care depends on whether they are hardy or tropical. Do you know that or do you know the names of what you have (maybe we can fill in the blanks)? For the hardy lilies, the pads usually die back and all you have to do is scoop the dead ones out, then maybe lower the pot, depending on the harshness of your winter climate -- for colder winters, they may need to go deeper to avoid freezing. Tropicals won't survive a Michigan winter.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't do anything with my hardy waterlilies. I try to remove all of the pads, but only so it's easier for me to scoop out leaves.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I cut off the pads and stems, put them around 18 inches deep. We don't freeze much deeper than 12-16

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
They are the hardy ones and my pond is only 50 gallons so I drained the water for the winter.. should I just put the pot in a bag and store for the winter? Will they grow back when I set my pond up again next year?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have never tried to save a hardy lily inside. The tuber needs to stay wet and not frozen. Maybe in a bucket in your basement or somewhere cool but not frozen. You might want some air flow, or change the water over winter, ow it will stink.

Here is a u tube, I have not watched, about saving hardy tubers inside.

More

1. Bring the water lily indoors for the winter and store in a cool basement or heated garage, about 50 degrees F. Either bring in the whole pot and place it in a plastic bag or box. Check it periodically to make sure the soil remain moist. Or remove the plant from the pot and store the tuber in moist peat moss or leaves. (I’ve done both and had good luck. Don’t expect your potted water lily to make a good houseplant. It still needs to go somewhat dormant and won’t be particularly attractive.)
  2. Water lilies take some experience to successfully over winter year after year. Since they can be expensive plants, I think it’s worth trying. Remember to check on them every few weeks during the winter. Just like with any other bulb stored indoors, it doesn’t take long for them to dry out or rot, if conditions aren’t ideal. And most importantly, remember to get them potted up and back outdoors gradually in the spring, so you can enjoy their hard earned blooms again.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They are the hardy ones and my pond is only 50 gallons so I drained the water for the winter.. should I just put the pot in a bag and store for the winter? Will they grow back when I set my pond up again next year?
Oh, I didn't realize your pond was small. Guess I'll read/listen to @addy1 post & video.....

Ask a Question