Lily pond finally made!

Reaction score
I found a resin pseudo half barrel to place my lily in as my koi are now large enough to kill it off. So far I am running a small statuary pump on a deer scarer and the lily and that is it. And suggestions for a little spray of grass to add some height? Also, what is a good little fish that will chill out in the barrel? I would only like 1-3 of them and would like beautiful colors but almost no maintenance or poop...was thinking fan tail guppies or paradise fish? I don't want anything as large are a goldfish, I have my giant fishies just want something small, cute and almost self sufficient.

Also, I live in Sacramento (Northern California). While it almost never freezes the water here, I would prefer not to have to take the fish in for the winter, or at least not have to set up a tank (could maybe live with the fish in the garage in the barrel). Any hardy and pretty varieties besides mosquito fish?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I put a few koi eggs in my barrel each spring and end with little fry that are happy all summer
I do dip them out late fall and toss them in the pond

Reaction score
I have a bunch of fry at the moment but I was just thinking of something low key and a different note from the babies. Our fry are either goldfish/shebunkin or koi. Probably not catfish or shark eggs. My hubby wanted to drop a few of our mosquito fish in there but I want something that will contrast with the black of the bucket. Kinda leaning towards guppies.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
rosey red minnows, nice pinkish color, stay small herd together well. fun to watch, very prolific.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had three in my lotus tub, beginning of last summer, end of summer had xx amount. All survived our winter, we hit 10 degrees, the lotus tub did ice over. They seem to be pretty hardy, I kept a aerator in the tub to keep it from freezing over.

Now have too many fry to count.

Ask a Question