Lilypad overgrowth? Help?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Waterlilies have been repotted and fertilized 3 mos, now have overgrowth of pads with a few lily blossoms. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! I assume that you’re saying you have more pads than you want and not enough blooms....

A little more information would be helpful. Where do you live — what planting zone? Are your lilies in a pond? What type of fertilizer did you use (what are the N-P-K numbers)? Are they hardy or tropical? Is this their first season?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcome to our group!

Mine have been slow about blooming, it has been wet, lacking sun and cooler than normal.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-6-4_16-8-28.gif
@Tccmills1
I haven't got one bloom yet either. Been too cold here. Mine are also not in soil, just hanging out free weighted down w/a rock.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Mine have just started to bloom. I have only 3 blooms should be 3 times that by now. The season has started cold and gloomy. It will get better when the sun comes out to stay.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Waterlilies have been repotted and fertilized 3 mos, now have overgrowth of pads with a few lily blossoms. Any ideas will be appreciated.

welcome, what is your pond size and how many plants do you have? Have fish? Hold old are your plants?
Interested in knowing if lilies get "old" and stop yielding blooms like cactus.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Interested in knowing if lilies get "old" and stop yielding blooms like cactus.

Not naturally, no. I think what happens in man-made ponds is they get too crowded in the pots and can't get enough nutrients to produce blooms. I know when mine get overcrowded it's nearly impossible to get any fertilizer into the pot between all the tubers and roots. I just re-potted all of mine and they were all just one solid mass of material - no room for anything else in that pot! They were loaded with pads, but I didn't see a single bud. Hopefully now that they have space and lots of food they will produce for me this year!

Ask a Question