Limestone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know concrete can leach lime when it's fresh but what about natural limestone? I mean it's millions of years old - will it leach into the pond and tip my ph?

I want to stack it up around the pond so not "under" the water but when it rains it'll drip off the limestone into the pond. Should I worry?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
By what I know it can cause ph to increase dramatically ,but they also say a little will help and most say that natural fish ponds should use it .So contrasting opinions .I have seen ponds with limestone around the edges and they have never had a problem .Here in VA I know they add it to farm ponds and natural ponds

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
You would see more of a change, if any, in naturally soft, acidic water as opposed to hard alkaline water like I have. I agree with sissy, around the edges would probably not make a significant difference and the minerals would help buffer if you are naturally low. What is your water pH now? The larger the pond, the less effect. Try some and monitor if you want to be extra careful.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I put limestone around my pond about six months ago, I have had no issues so far with plants, fish, snails or frogs. I tried to slope mine slightly away from the pond so water would runoff to the outside, and my rocks are sitting above, not in the water. I only used because I had a lot of flat stones available, but have had no issues so far. I've never tested my water so cannot comment on pH

Ask a Question