Liner Damage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently building a pond and will soon be building the waterfall. Today I noticed a hole in the liner as per picture. The liner was installed in September and left like this over winter. The liner is 0.75mm rubber so good quality. Is it possible this was naturally damaged. Its a bit strange!
20210222_174907.jpg

Attachments

• 20210228_164306.jpg
    20210228_164306.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 72
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have. Used a lot of rubber by several manufacturers and I have never seen one with a pattern on the face do you remember the brand. ? Something that big was either from rocking the pond or a deer possibly.

Looks more like. Hpde I believe it is @addy1 Uses she could add her experiance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Is it me, or does the hole look rather square?
Yeah, I thought that was odd.

Maybe it's just how it looks in the picture, but is the square part missing? That's really odd.

If it were caused by a rock or something natural, I don't think the hole would be square and there wouldn't be any liner "missing".

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I believe it's square because of the weave as it looks in the pattern I'm seeing. hprde is a weave with a heavy duty coating of I believe polyethylene .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have hdrpe and the liner in the pic looks much thinner. I doubt this is natural as you'd have to cut deliberately against the grain. I can remember cutting and sometimes it would fall away easily as I cut and others, I struggled mightily to make it part. Too, it looks as if there's either more liner or something similar BEHIND the cut. Could be it's folded over, though...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome! Where is this tear located, since it looks like the pond is holding water?
The hole is located about 100mm from final water level. It is actually located on the underside of a fold in the liner so was not actually exposed to potential surface damage. The pond was like this for around 3 months so it could have been damaged anytime during this period.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, I thought that was odd.

Maybe it's just how it looks in the picture, but is the square part missing? That's really odd.

If it were caused by a rock or something natural, I don't think the hole would be square and there wouldn't be any liner "missing".
It's very odd. Thars why I was asking if that was like anything normal. It's almost as if it's been cut?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's what I think too. Looks like it was cut by something and would have to be very sharp and strong cutters whatever was used. Are you sure it wasn't like that when you bought it and before you put it down? Could you have missed it? Just does not look chewed or ripped. I would talk to the maker and show them different angles of the hole. Looks like a flap hangs off to the side of it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That's what I think too. Looks like it was cut by something and would have to be very sharp and strong cutters whatever was used. Are you sure it wasn't like that when you bought it and before you put it down? Could you have missed it? Just does not look chewed or ripped. I would talk to the maker and show them different angles of the hole. Looks like a flap hangs off to the side of it.
I did not notice anything when laying it. May just have missed it. That sounds as it is the most likeliest reason. No flap there.
20210228_164238.jpg

Ask a Question