morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
There are three liner types for garden ponds, and three types only (regardless of what anyone may post in response):

EPDM, PVC and PE

EPDM (45mil) costs approximately US$0.65 sq. ft.
PVC (30mil) costs approximately US$0.65 sq. ft.
PE (20mil) costs approximately US$0.30 sq. ft.
PE (30mil) costs approximately $US0.50 sq. ft.

Given the susceptibility of PVC and PE to UV rays, coupled with the minor, inconsequential cost difference when comparing mil to mil, it in inconceivable to me why anyone would ever use, or even consider using any other liner than 45mil EPDM.

Shipping costs make up a large part of the total cost of a liner order. Liners, due to their weight, are ground shipped. Ground shipping costs are based on weight. A 20x30 45mil EPDM liner isn't a light product.

My point is that many on this forum (over the years), have argued for this product over than product, blah, blah, blah........

The liner is the basis for your pond, it's most important and integral part.

Don't buy "cheap" to save a couple of bucks. A simple comparison of the above pricing structure clearly shows that there simply isn't a point even contemplating it.

Buy the longest-lasting, toughest stuff out there that has a proven record of use.

The answer, hands down, is 45mil EPDM.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
With as many times my pond has been destroyed and upgraded ,I would have been better with pvc .I have seen a lot of ponders on here that say they are just going to try ponder and if they like it they will go bigger .So then PVC may be a cheap see if this will work or if I can even do this .My second pond was just 1000 gallons and was a pvc liner and glad it was roofer dropped a board right into the middle of it .But back then I had already decided I like the pond and knew I would go bigger and went to 2500 gallons .Pvc is a cheap starter pond until you decide if it is for you .To this day I am still using the pieces of pvc for under my filters and it is not dry or cracking .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
true but testing out ponding is better to go cheaper and see if you like it .Plus most go small and they they decide they want bigger .I have noticed a lot of that on here ;)Not many want to go smaller after the first pond build

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used ppl36, made by bend tarp and liner. I don't see it on their chart but they have others, this is the chart for residential koi ponds.

I humbly disagree that EPDM 45 is the absolute best out there.

Been using their product for around 20 years if not more. It is some tough stuff does not get slick as epdm, and it has survived very sharp deer hooves digging into it.

Capture.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I asked addy and they responded right back and said they are not going to make ppl only going to sell btl and only have ppl in 45 and pp in 36 and 45 .They said it is basically the same stuff .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks Sissy, I love the stuff, it would withstand dog claws nicely and it is light weight compared to epdm. I put mine in almost 8 years ago. My Arizona pond had ppl24, Maryland pond has ppl36.

That deer that landed in the pond and dug in its hooves to get out, over and over did not even cause a tiny bit of damage to it. Poor thing was briefly trapped under the heron net.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have 65 mil EPDM ) just because my husband has a roofing company and so he went to his supplier to buy 45mil but the owner was too lazy to get the 45 which was in the back so he said he'd give us the 65mil for the price of 45... so lucky me. But it's super heavy it would've been impossible to ship if I buy from online since it's ridiculously huge (came in a roll)
I'd say that It was hard at first with the folds but It wasnt that bad. After a year the folds area lot smaller and not much noticeable now.
I didn't have cushion under the liner so i'm thankful for the thickness of it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got 45 mil free shipping 278 dollars for 20x 25 which when I got it was bigger than I ordered 24xalmost30 .If I remember correctly .

Reaction score
I try to always buy the best of anything. If I don't like it I can sell it and get a larger percentage back. Okay this doesn't apply to something like a liner but it does for other parts of the pond and tools and just about anything. What I have found is long after I forget what I had paid for a better product the product is still good.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I try to always buy the best of anything. If I don't like it I can sell it and get a larger percentage back. Okay this doesn't apply to something like a liner but it does for other parts of the pond and tools and just about anything. What I have found is long after I forget what I had paid for a better product the product is still good.

I'm with you, mgmine.
I prefer to buy things once.
Not multiple times after a seemingly good deal failed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
.Plus most go small and they they decide they want bigger .I have noticed a lot of that on here

That is true @sissy! However I would add two things to that - 1. having liner issues may actually convince someone that ponding is NOT for them and drive them out of the hobby (I almost said sport! haha!) and 2. sometimes people incorporate their old liner into the new pond design when they add on or expand which would be more likely if they buy 45 mil in the first place.

When we built our first house, we skipped over our starter house AND our second house and jumped right to our family house. I hate moving and only wanted to do it once! Same with our pond - built the biggest pond we could the first time around so now it's just play, no more work! While physically it would be possible, I personally wouldn't have the mental energy to pull my pond out and start over. The only way I'm getting a new pond is if we move.. .which, see above!

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
When re-lining existing ponds, we never remove the old liner (regardless of it's type), but rather leave it in place.

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Well, I just leave them in because they cost $$$ to dispose of, don't take up a lot of room and provide cushioning for the new liner.

Ask a Question