Liner: Which one to use?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
My Home Depot has 15' wide X 50' long rolls of Firestone 55 mil liner. You can get them to cut any length at $10.50 ft.

Reaction score
right, the length is limited to 15' in length. that's the point. If you don't want to deal with seams, or a narrow pond, you need to look elsewhere.

Reaction score
It sounds like he is saying that the width is actually what's limited, not the length. But in my case, it sounds like I can just get it from home depot/lowes. Maybe. I mean, if it's 15' wide, and I can chose to make it 20' long, that's plenty of pond for now. Like I said I only have permission to do a small-medium pond in granny's back yard lol. Now if only I could remember that little formula to tell me how many gallons that would be, at 3' deep...

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
a 15' x 20' liner would allow you to safely build a 6'x12' x3' deep pond with an extra18" of liner around edges. this pond 3'deep and a level flat bottom would be 1615 gals. L x W x D x 7.48= pond volume (square / rectangular ponds)

Reaction score
Hmm yeah you're right, I forgot about the sides consuming some of my width. Unless I made it gradually slope to the sides, I guess. So it looks like it needs to be about 25' wide for my needs. Firestone.c om here I come lol. Oh by the way, when yall ordered yall's liner from firestone, how much was the shipping?

Reaction score
Why don't you find a local store and avoid the cost of shipping?

I google searched "dallas pond store" turned up many places you can buy a liner. Much cheaper, no shipping, and talk to a person.

Reaction score
I agree, a lot of times you can even buy liner at local landscaping shops, too. I can't imagine Dallas wouldn't have a local place to buy liner. Bring a friend, as folded up liner can weigh a ton!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I dont understand peoples obsession with online shopping ... with a little effort ive almost always found anything locally and cheaper.

Reaction score
when it comes to something as heavy as that, shipping can kill ya for sure. Lots of folks don't have a local pond shop. I certainly don't have one with a good variety of food at a reasonable price locally, so I'll shop off-season and prowl for free shipping deals.

But I think you are right, lots of times it's cheaper right at home.

Reaction score
My obsession started with buying electronics online, as they are around 1/2 to 1/3 of the price at the local best buy and fry's and such. So I guessed it sort of branched out from there. But I agree about that shipping. Looks like I am headed to Dallas. Thanks for all the help, guys! ;)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I bought my liner from a roofing company 9 yrs ago and it was 60mls. They had it in lots of different sizes. Some other kinds of construction companies also carry it here and I bought more from one of these when I moved my pond and needed a bigger size. I didn't have any problem w/ it meaning none of my fish died from contaminants due to the rubber. I did rinse it off well before using. I wonder if anyone else has ever used this kind. :coolgleema:

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Get the 45 mil Firestone and whatever you do, DON'T cut any of it. Fold whatever you dont need and cover with cround cover. Go with a bigger liner then you need to save now on the shipping. I orderd one fro pond store in Georgia(just liners inc.?) was the name I believe. Yes you pay some shipping but not that much. My local pond store wanted twice as much so even with shipping it was cheaper.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
koidaddy said:
Get the 45 mil Firestone and whatever you do, DON'T cut any of it. Fold whatever you dont need and cover with cround cover. Go with a bigger liner then you need to save now on the shipping. I orderd one fro pond store in Georgia(just liners inc.?) was the name I believe. Yes you pay some shipping but not that much. My local pond store wanted twice as much so even with shipping it was cheaper.

I wish I would have thought not to cut mine now that I read your post. Oh well better luck next time right :wave:

Reaction score
ahhh since you already bought it, my post wont help much, but for future reference look on craigslist, that where i found mine and it was cheeper then any online store and way cheeper then anything local, to get a 15x15 local was going to be close to 200 i got a 20x20 for 125.

Ask a Question