Liner?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok so I have been thinking about buying a roll of 25x10' 6mil clear plastic sheeting from Lowes or HD for $25 as a pond liner in my 300 gallon Im re-working at the moment and wanted to know your thoughts or experience and if it will last a couple of years?
I already have a 20 mil EPDM liner for it but I thought the "clear" look of the sheeting would display Lights in the pond well and see the earth's layers showing through, now the 20 mil is PLENTY strong, How?, well lets just say I had about 30 gallon in the bottom when I pulled up the liner from under the remaining water and it did not give or stretch that I could feel so Im confident in trying this Doubled-up 6 mil clear as a Liner for my small 300 gallon pond but with all factors in mind there is only ONE I am worried about... Promoting Root growth, since it's clear and sun will hit it sometimes, do you think it would give roots the urge to grow through or up or not affect it at all, Let me know what you guys think?! Thanks :)
Ok I have a similar question

I am making a duck and goose pond. I live in west Texas.
I have looked at pond liners and they are simply cost prohibitive for the area I need to cover. I am building a large pond with an island in tbe middle. I have killed the vegetation left by burning brush in it for a couple months so I know the roots are dead.
I had dug out an area with the tractor down to the cliche rock layer.
I have raked up the rocks.
I am building a wood frame around the island.
my next step is going to get a few loads of sand (not bags it will be by the ton). I am going to put a layer of washed sand all over the pond. This will prevent the liner from the risk of any rock contact.
I am thinking of using 6 mil or someone mentioned 10 mil plastic.
Once all that is done I will line the pond with that. It will take more than one piece. I will be glueing some pieces together ( like each side of the island). I will use a paint brush to apply glue. I even thought about getting like Rv roof seal and cover the seams with that.
Then after the liner is in I plan to put more sand. This would prevent the liner from being exposed to sun. I also thought about putting horse trailer matting down on the bottom. This is to prevent animals from reaching the liner as well (I know my border collies will go in it they love water). Once I get all that done I will put in the lights and plumbing and fountains and build the waterfall. The pond has an area 30x40 foot this side of the island and 4x40 foot roughly behind it and a channel of water connecting the two.
It would be thousands for a liner that would cover that.
With my precautions would the plastic liners work in y’all’s opinion?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! This is a 7 years old thread.

IMHO, you are asking for disaster. The number one rule in pond building is don’t skimp on the liner! Liner is the backbone of the pond. Look at all the extra prep work you are planning just to make this work — that’s going to cost, so by the time you are through you will probably have spent close to the price of an EPDM liner — not to mention the extra work hours. Better to save your money and be patient.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree with Mathis, don’t skimp on the liner. If you have to Using something cheap like you are thinking you will be lucky to get a year Out of it before it starts leaking.

Also I wouldn’t just glue the liner together even a cheap one. Epdm you use seam tape and an adhesive to seal joints together and rolling the seams to make sure it is adhered correctly and no bubbles or wrinkles

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1598634031075.gif
@Rogueknight
I wouldn't do it, you'll be sorry! Just think about all the work you will do in putting the this project together just the way you want it and then whamo, the thing gets a hole and you will end up have to tear the whole thing all apart and start over. Talk about a headache!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well it’s 200 for the 10 mil I am looking at 2000 if I get the 20mil pond liner. This is just for the birds but sandwiched between sand they shouldn’t reach it. I am gonna put clay down if I can find it. The trailer mat just gives added protection that nothing will reach the liner and it’s still way cheaper than the pond liner. I don’t mind using the tape. I wasn’t sure what the best way would be but the stuff I am looking at is 20’ x 100’ which I could make the whole thing with 2 pieces.

Reaction score
Country
United States
View attachment 133330@Rogueknight
I wouldn't do it, you'll be sorry! Just think about all the work you will do in putting the this project together just the way you want it and then whamo, the thing gets a hole and you will end up have to tear the whole thing all apart and start over. Talk about a headache!
It’s been a project I have worked on for a while and without anything it holds some water but doesn’t last. I am just looking for an inexpensive way to give the birds something to play in that’s better than the plastic kiddie pools. And it will look nice. This isn’t a big deco project more of a set something up that will work. I have good luck using much thinner liners I used to make above ground gardens using old wood crates which is what made me think of doing this. And they are using much thinner plastic.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Agree with Mathis, don’t skimp on the liner. If you have to Using something cheap like you are thinking you will be lucky to get a year Out of it before it starts leaking.

Also I wouldn’t just glue the liner together even a cheap one. Epdm you use seam tape and an adhesive to seal joints together and rolling the seams to make sure it is adhered correctly and no bubbles or wrinkles
Thanks for the info on the tape. I was just thinking how to connect two 20x 50 pieces

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Rogueknight I think what everyone is trying to say is that what you are planning might work temporarily, but it won’t last. If you don’t mind putting in all the hard work and repeating the process, then go for it! Be careful when choosing your tape and/or glue and be sure that what you get is waterproof — and guaranteed to hold under water. And be sure that the tape/glue is compatible with the sheeting you are using! Compatibility is super important!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Well it’s 200 for the 10 mil I am looking at 2000 if I get the 20mil pond liner. This is just for the birds but sandwiched between sand they shouldn’t reach it. I am gonna put clay down if I can find it. The trailer mat just gives added protection that nothing will reach the liner and it’s still way cheaper than the pond liner. I don’t mind using the tape. I wasn’t sure what the best way would be but the stuff I am looking at is 20’ x 100’ which I could make the whole thing with 2 pieces.

Where are you looking at buying the pond Liner from? 20 mil 20x100 for $2000 is absurd as 20 ml isn’t anywhere near thick enough.

justliners has a 20x100’ 45 ml epdm liner for $1220. Save you on having to seam the 2 liners together as well as having to put sand on it and matting.

A liner that is 10 ml thick isn’t going to take much to rip, puncture or tear it. I work with geo-textile fabrics that are much tougher than 10 mil plastic and even they tear or puncture if I am not careful.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well the g
Where are you looking at buying the pond Liner from? 20 mil 20x100 for $2000 is absurd as 20 ml isn’t anywhere near thick enough.

justliners has a 20x100’ 45 ml epdm liner for $1220. Save you on having to seam the 2 liners together as well as having to put sand on it and matting.

A liner that is 10 ml thick isn’t going to take much to rip, puncture or tear it. I work with geo-textile fabrics that are much tougher than 10 mil plastic and even they tear or puncture if I am not careful.
Well the good news is I found clay. Which is ideal. So I will be putting clay down which although is all I need I am still going to put a liner on that which will compact the clay and then sand on that. Clay was my ideal choice but didn’t know where to get it here but found a place that they get clay to line stock ponds. But I will still keep people here posted on the build. Any recommendations for pumps and fountains. I prefer to go all solar. I found some solar lights that seem nice. Lastly recommendations for pond plants. Like some type of Lilly pad that will help evaporation. They would need to be able to take full sun and in west Texas I mean FULL sun.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Liner is not that expensive. Plastic bio degrades contrary to popular belief. Look at any house that throws a tarp up for a leaky roof its a bandaid and i know for one I would not do all that work onto of what I know will fail in as little as a year. Plastics are made with oil the leach and dry out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol when they said 20 x 50 I was thinking feet as I have not read the entire post but I belive now they are talking a bath tub . Which is an idea for you keep your eyes open for an old bath tub and bury it.

Ask a Question