Lionhead Swim Bladder Disorder

Xai

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

My 2 year old lionhead goldfish is suffering with swim bladder issues. He is unable to keep himself the right way up, always floating at the top of the tank with his belly to the sky. I have been treating him with different methods over the last month but unfortunately I am not seeing any improvements.

I moved him from a 300 litre pond to an indoor 50 litre tank. I have tried fasting him for 3 days, giving him a pea diet, giving him bloodworms, eliminating floating food, none of this has worked.

I spoke with someone from a local fish shop who recommended reducing the water levels massively and gradually topping it up so that the fish has a chance of healing. I've done this for several weeks now and unfortunately still no signs of improvement. Reducing the water levels has also caused the water quality to be reduced. I'm finding it hard to keep the water quality as it should be.

I've also used swim bladder infection medication and aquarium salts.

If anyone has any advice on how to treat this condition then I'd be really grateful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm sorry your fish is having issues with it's swim bladder. I don't have any answers but have seen people making floatation devices to keep them upright with a variety of items......you could google images for ideas.

Ask a Question