Little help with Pickering Rush

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Not sure whats wrong i think it's dead. I planted it in my bog at "surface level" of the water line but doesn't seem to be doing well. It has moderate sun and still in the original soil and pot it came in.

Don't ask about ph etc levels as i never tested in 8 years i have been working on this pond.

There has been no changes to the pond or any "meds" added to the pond.

My creeping jennys and cork screw and i forget what the other plant is in the bog are doing well.

Attachments

• Resized_20170817_172827.jpg
    Resized_20170817_172827.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 200

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Sorry to post back to back to back. I have horsetail rush that limped along in a decorative fountain for a couple years. Took it out threw it in a 5 gallon bucket, left in the Lily basket and it took off and now is at least 4' tall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think it's being choked to death by being in the pot. The roots have no where to spread and it may not be getting enough water if it's root bound. It may be too late, but you could try taking it out of the pot and planting it directly in the gravel. Pickerel is a pretty hardy plant - it might have a chance.

Bog plants, in order to function like you want them to function, should all be planted directly in the gravel. Otherwise you just have a gravel and water container holding your potted plants, basically. Let those roots grow and do their job!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I think it's being choked to death by being in the pot. The roots have no where to spread and it may not be getting enough water if it's root bound. It may be too late, but you could try taking it out of the pot and planting it directly in the gravel. Pickerel is a pretty hardy plant - it might have a chance.

Bog plants, in order to function like you want them to function, should all be planted directly in the gravel. Otherwise you just have a gravel and water container holding your potted plants, basically. Let those roots grow and do their job!

I understand that but it was a new ish plant so we left it as is and planted in the bog to let it acclimate prior to transplanting directly to bog with bare ish roots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@IPA I am out for businesses at atm and can not provide better pics of roots but my awesome wife took a few for me I can provide better pics sat not sure they will help.

Attachments

• Resized_20170817_195515.jpg
    Resized_20170817_195515.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 191
  • Resized_20170817_195524.jpg
    Resized_20170817_195524.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 191
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I understand that but it was a new ish plant so we left it as is and planted in the bog to let it acclimate prior to transplanting directly to bog with bare ish roots.

No need. When you plant a plant in the soil, do you keep it in the pot first? The plant will acclimate if the environment is right. In other words, if the plant likes water and you plant it in water, it will grow.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@IPA I am out for businesses at atm and can not provide better pics of roots but my awesome wife took a few for me I can provide better pics sat not sure they will help.

When I had root rot there was hardly any roots attached to the stem. I am no expert but that doesn't seem to be the issue. I think maybe the roots needed to be deeper and the pot wasn't helping. From what I can find most all rushes require similar environments and requirements. Here is a site that says pickerel rush can grow in up to 12" of water so it will probably be better if the water is above the stem root connection. I'd put it in a bucket or container with enough water that won't evaporate too quickly and see if it recovers; don't use chlorinated water of course. I made that mistake thinking, they are in a 5 gallon bucket, no fish, what can it hurt.

http://nationalpondservice.com/water-plant-pickerel-rush/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
No need. When you plant a plant in the soil, do you keep it in the pot first? The plant will acclimate if the environment is right. In other words, if the plant likes water and you plant it in water, it will grow.

Wife corrected me it was re potted roots take up less the 1/4th of the pot. Only soil is what's on the roots rest is gravel. It's potted do to the planting location next to the out manifold in the bog.

The root crown or top is just below water

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
if the plant likes water and you plant it in water, it will grow.
Well that's misinformation.
Depending (and i'm not going to get into it) on the plant, they have VERY different needs and specific chemicals to grow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Depending (and i'm not going to get into it) on the plant, they have VERY different needs and specific chemicals to grow.

Let me amend... if you have a plant that you are sure enjoys a bog or pond environment, and you put it in your pond or bog, it will grow. No need to coddle it along and wait until it's better suited to that particular environment.

Ask a Question