Little worms...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
Been renovating an old pond for the last month or so. Many new parts, many old. At one point the pond had less than 2” of total depth while I was cleaning the liner and checking for holes/tears. Bog was empty, but now has some plants in it that I got from my yard (another story completely).

Had to stop the waterfall to do some waterproofing and noticed little worms all over the waterfall rock.
Had to cut a NEW return pipe and noticed the same worms already getting established on the inside of this pipe, a high flowing 3” sch 40.

The pond has 16 large goldfish, and used to have some minnow type fish (gone) and many snails (all gone but a few). There are also tadpoles from the frogs in my yard... it’s mating season.

Not sure about these worms...

Anyone seen something like this before?? Maybe they came along with the plants from my yard?

Thanks!

// Radar //

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Someone recently posted about this. I believe the verdict was bloodworms, which are totally harmless and your fish will gobble up. If I can find it, I will tag you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
yes small bloodworms are approx 6mm-10mm in lenght they are the pre pupal stage of midges and some fish love them they are usually olive green or red hence the name

Reaction score
Country
United States
Someone recently posted about this. I believe the verdict was bloodworms, which are totally harmless and your fish will gobble up. If I can find it, I will tag you.
I actually read that post, thanks. Not sure if these are the same type, but I’m hoping they are!

Ask a Question