live daphnia

Bee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a relatively new garden pond that I am hoping will attract wildlife.
It is about 12 months old.
I have 2 problems. the first is the pesky problem of blanket weed which is choking everything and when I try to remove it manually it pulls out pond plants that are trying to establish .
Any good tips on it's removal that will not affect wild life?
The second is that I do not seem to be able to keep a healthy stock of live food that will multiply to feed growing spawn. Is the daphnia I am buying from pet-shops and pond shops treated with something that will shorten it's life?
If so is there anywhere I can buy "good" stuff that is likely to stay and reproduce.
Also would it be worth my while trying to get some blood worms?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
What size pond do you have, filtration, # of fish and type, water circulation/turnover (1.5-2x total volume is ideal)? Answering these questions will better help us answer your first question.

As for the Daphnia, most likely are being consumed by everything in the pond before they can establish a sustainable population. Usually ponds as they mature will establish a balance w/o adding a lower link in the food chain like daphnia. All of my fish reproduce in the pond and some of the offspring are almost as big as the adults, w/o me doing anything in the way of target feeding the young.

Ask a Question