Loads of eggs but no babies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my pond fish have been very busy for some time now. First it was in early may and now since mid June. Early morning they are charging each other, loads of foam bubbles and I can also see eggs. But I see no baby fishes. What is happening to the eggs?

I put some knitting threads and I can see it's full of eggs. How to make babies?!

Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC_0135.JPG
    DSC_0135.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 208

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the eggs are probably being eaten by the fish. Try moving the yarn to another container. What type of fish do you have?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
When I put a screened floating net into my pond one year and put some plants floating in it the goldfish spawned near the net and very soon after that there were tons of little tiny babies. Adult fish could not get in there to thin the herd and I could not care for that many in my pond so I poured them out into the pond. Not so many after that as the adult fish had a feeding frenzy. Some did find spots to hide and grew. No more floating net as I don't want to have to do that again. All I wanted was to have a place to raise the Azolla and Duckweed plants, not a bunch of babies.

IMG_1256.JPG

It had Azolla and Duckweed plants floating in it.

IMG_4922.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The fish love to snack on the eggs. I even watch one fish inhale around three tiny fry in seconds. I prefer that to getting over populated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I used a floating net for plants one year and it too became an unintentional fish nursery! My koi go crazy eating eggs, but I've not seen them eat fry once hatched. I've heard that goldfish eat both eggs and fry.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Something ate the fry when I dumped them out of the net and they were really teensy, could hardly see them so I assume it was the goldfish. If they would have been bigger I would have been in a heap of trouble cuz the fish would not eat them then!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Something ate the fry when I dumped them out of the net and they were really teensy, could hardly see them so I assume it was the goldfish. If they would have been bigger I would have been in a heap of trouble cuz the fish would not eat them then!
So will goldfish not egg the small fish? Every year fry are such a pain, trying to catch them all. So far this year I have a head start having caught 18 already.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have all but stopped feeding my koi. Last
year even though it was a new pond the fry were out of control. I had to make fish traps to try and keep the population under control.
20190714_074559.jpg
20190714_074633.jpg
20190629_093324.jpg
This year the spawning has been numerous. But when I was snorkeling yesterday while vaccuming the pond I saw only a dozen babies. I should also mention the koi most definately have not suffered due to no feeding as they have gained in size and girth. Even the two cat fish I see all the time chomping on the algae

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Tula The goldfish won't eat the fry once they get to a certain size which is still pretty small but not teensy tiny for a few days or so.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Great. I took my spawning mops to separate container.

So, I got loads of mosquito larvae and I can also see a few few babies-just like the photos you shared. How do I separate or kill mosquito only? Or I just wait a week for babies to get bigger and separate?

Thanks

Ask a Question