Lone baby goldfish in my pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Thank you for your welcome it’s clear I have a lot to learn so the advice is gratefully received From the responses I think I will put him back and just hope he survives We called him ‘Lucky’ because he was
Incidentally, all the fish in the pond started out in an indoor aquarium until they outgrew it so we built a pond for them
We all learn a lot over time with ponds. Lucky is lucky to have found you.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Despite the plants it does get pretty murky in there not crystal clear so we can’t see the fish very well.
Read about plant bogs, pea gravel bogs a lot of us use here. I filter with only a bog (pea gravel and plants) water is always crystal clear. No filters to clean. You can make a small one, out of a container or a bigger one using liner. Best filtration imho you can have.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Read about plant bogs, pea gravel bogs a lot of us use here. I filter with only a bog (pea gravel and plants) water is always crystal clear. No filters to clean. You can make a small one, out of a container or a bigger one using liner. Best filtration imho you can have.

Thank you, I’ll read about it. I have a raised pond so not sure if a bog area can be achieved but I will research this

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you, I’ll read about it. I have a raised pond so not sure if a bog area can be achieved but I will research this
I put a small bog on my hot tub pond, using a planter. Or you can also use tote, strong one. I put it on the edge of the tub and filled with pea gravel and put a tube in the bottom to send water up through it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I put a small bog on my hot tub pond, using a planter. Or you can also use tote, strong one. I put it on the edge of the tub and filled with pea gravel and put a tube in the bottom to send water up through it.
Wow I’ll definitely read your post about that

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi there, I’m new to the group and have a question… cleaning out my pond today and we’ve found a tiny baby fish atm I’ve put him in a bowl with pond water and brought him inside because I’m worried the others will eat him but I’ve no idea what conditions he needs or what to feed him on.. we had no idea there were any fry and he’s to tiny probably about 1.5 inches long … any advice would be good please TIA
Hi Congrats on your baby, but all the advice previously given is totally correct. My oldest “baby“ goldfish is 12 years old and I probably have dozens of goldfish in my pond currently that started out as fry in the pond. So obviously some make it and some don’t. Earlier in the year there were hundreds of fry in my bog. Thank god most of them didn’t all make it..I hope! Nature has a way of figuring things out!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I’m new to the group and have a question… cleaning out my pond today and we’ve found a tiny baby fish atm I’ve put him in a bowl with pond water and brought him inside because I’m worried the others will eat him but I’ve no idea what conditions he needs or what to feed him on.. we had no idea there were any fry and he’s to tiny probably about 1.5 inches long … any advice would be good please TIA
Nature dictates the only feasible answer , all fish breed and like humans they do not want someone taking away their offspring.Please reintroduce that poor fish to the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there -- while fish aren't the best parents in the world, it's never great to keep them inside in a bowl without filtration. If you have an aquarium, that would be a better place. The fish looks a bit like a baby koi.

Reaction score
Country
United States

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nature dictates the only feasible answer , all fish breed and like humans they do not want someone taking away their offspring.Please reintroduce that poor fish to the pond.
The poor fish??? Are you kidding me?☹️ The parents ate the other 300 or so babies! How is this a ‘poor fish’ because I tried to help him survive!??? What absolute rubbish!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The poor fish??? Are you kidding me?☹️ The parents ate the other 300 or so babies! How is this a ‘poor fish’ because I tried to help him survive!??? What absolute rubbish!
As noted above, you'll be fine. I have 32 koi, a few that are 16", along with over 100 gf, many of which are 8+ inches, and I see more than a few youngsters that are maybe 1/2" swimming right along with their elders. If you feed regularly, you have less chance of predation. That's why we recommend NOT feeding if you worry about overstocking. The first babies you get are the cute one so; thereafter, you tend to be less attached!

Reaction score
Country
United States

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@George Blazzo Hello! If you are posting something, or have a question, maybe you could start a new thread and/or go to our “introductions “ topic and tell us about your pond experiences. I see you joined back in April, so guessing you’ve been lurking around. Lurkers are good — there’s lots of learning to be had that way.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
The bigger the fish, the slower they get so your fast, little shuby should be fine. I have over 200 fish up to 12" in my pond and still see little ones smaller than an inch. Mine join the big boys when they feel comfortable, until then there's plenty to eat. I do agree that you shouldn't be cleaning your pond like that. I've had ponds that have taken up to 2 years to find their balance. A bog or at least a biofilter would help with water clarity. Say g'day to Lucky for me.:cool:

Ask a Question