Long time lurker, pics of pond 2.0

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I thought it was about time to sign up and become a member here. I've been reading these forums for a year or so, and I have gained so much knowledge from you all. I enjoy reading and looking at all the great ponds that are featured here, it gives me hope that my little mud hole will become something, one day lol. As my title says, this is my second attempt at this pond. I had another pond at our old house, and I have missed it ever since we moved. I started this new pond last spring, but I went about it all wrong. I skimped on the liner, and as I have read many times here, that's where you invest your $$, and I paid with a leaking cesspool hehe. I covered it over for the summer, with full intentions of re-doing everything, but next came fall and then winter.

Well this spring I got the hammer dropped by my wife, "finish it, or fill it in". So my search started. I'm as frugal as they come so my first search was for a liner. I tried to go the used billboard route, but that turned up nothing.I was about the spend some $ on a liner when driving by a new church here in town, I see they are building a huge water fall that leads into a retention pond. Not ever being afraid to ask for freebees, I stopped and talked to the foreman to see if they had any scraps left over, and what they planned on doing with them. He tells me to come back in a week and see whats left. I return, and he tells me that another one of his guys were taking what was left, but to stop by their shop and see what they had. I was blessed with a 12"x12' piece of EPDM !

So my pond 2.0 began. After getting everything in place and filled, my heart was crushed when I go out the next morning and my water level is down about 6". I discovered that the area where my spillway box met the first rock on my waterfall was not sealed well enough. After a whole tube of rubber caulk and 2 days to set up and fired everything back up again. A few days go by and the water level is holding great, but a new problem, (See above about me being frugal hehe) I'm a plumber by trade, and I had been hanging on to a sump pump I had removed when I put in a new system for a customer, knowing I was going to redo my pond. But the pump was getting too hot and I not only had a new pond, it could have been a redneck hot tub to boot lol. So I had to shell out a few $ for a proper pump and things have seemed to settle down pretty well now. My plants are growing, my lilly has begun to sprout and for now I can just sit down and enjoy the sound of the water.
IMG_4773.jpg
IMG_0229.jpg
IMG_9949.jpg
IMG_3196.jpg
IMG_7040.jpg
IMG_2468.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
swirl.gif
to our group! Nice waterfall you made, looks great

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome! Glad you decided to join the forum. Over a year ago, I somehow stumbled upon this site and lurked for awhile. :) After reading about and viewing some of the beautiful ponds here it somehow sucked me in and I built a pond. Warning it can be an addiction! Hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks again for all the welcomes. I did just add 30 cent goldfish yesterday. I'm not wanting to get too far ahead just yet. Last year when I first set up the pond I had a huge breakout of string algae, but after a month and a half my water seems pretty clear, (knocks on wood). I believe the plants are going to make a big difference this time around. I'm so excited that my lily has started to sprout. I see all the nice ponds here with the flowers and pads and thats what I'm shooting for. I bought one of the drop-in's from Lowe"s, the first one was a dud, but this was has shown some growth in only 5 days.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and happy your wife laid the law down on you and got you going and really glad you joined and looks like you have learned a lot by lurking in back ground .great pond

Ask a Question