Longtime lurker, with a newly built pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been reading this forum for a while to research and pick up on some good advice while I was planning on building a pond in my back yard. Now that the pond is 'finished' I made an account to say hello and show off!

The pond itself is roughly 13' across with an irregular round shape and ~2' at it's deepest. Feeding into the pond is a ~20' stream with multiple cascading waterfalls that starts in a small bog.

I spent a couple years planning this out, and purchased the house with the intention of putting in a water feature. Initial work started back in March this year with layout for the pond and fire pit area:
PXL_20220323_005041375.jpg

All the digging I did by hand:
PXL_20220326_215950560.jpg

PXL_20220327_232220052.jpg

The soil in my yard is highly compacted sandy/rocky clay. It was like digging through soft concrete. At a certain point I did give in and bought a roto hammer with a clay spade bit to finish off the job.
PXL_20220409_183418400.jpg

I then was finally able to start installing the liner and rocking everything in. I went with a HDRPE liner due to cost and weight. It was super easy to work with in my opinion. The right side of the pond has a small intake bay with a single large aquablock in it and a 7 gallon bucket as a pump vault. The pump is a 4000gph connected to a 2' line that I attached to a basic control system to adjust the flow rate.

PXL_20220409_225936542.jpg
PXL_20220416_015754237.jpg

Output of the pump goes into a 5 gallon bucket with three 2' lines coming out to feed the bottom of the bog. I went with this design to eliminate backflow when the pump is shut off as well as provide a spot for a clean out pump in the bog itself.
PXL_20220417_204417982.jpg
PXL_20220417_205257438.jpg

It's been running for a few weeks now. As of last weekend I've planted in the pond, stream, and bog. Along with eliminating most of the major leaks from the stream. It's still loosing roughly 2-4gph by my calculations, but not bad for my first time and having cut down the liner so narrow along the watercourse.

I'll have to get some better pictures later, as most of the overall photos still have cloudy water from construction. The water is crystal clear now though and I'm hoping it stays that way! I introduced a few (~17) small goldfish into the pond this week as well. As of this morning most of them.either seem to be hiding in the rocks and fish cave, or have already been eaten by something. It's hard to tell. I love the way it all came together, and doing all the work by hand was extremely rewarding!

PXL_20220420_010647703.jpg
PXL_20220424_233944497.jpg

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
You did an incredible job! I love your rock choice. Welcome to the forums!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow, that looks great. Thanks for sharing with us.

Did you DIY the control system for your pump? What can you share about that? I’m looking into motor speed control systems right now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've been reading this forum for a while to research and pick up on some good advice while I was planning on building a pond in my back yard. Now that the pond is 'finished' I made an account to say hello and show off!

The pond itself is roughly 13' across with an irregular round shape and ~2' at it's deepest. Feeding into the pond is a ~20' stream with multiple cascading waterfalls that starts in a small bog.

I spent a couple years planning this out, and purchased the house with the intention of putting in a water feature. Initial work started back in March this year with layout for the pond and fire pit area:
View attachment 150062

All the digging I did by hand:
View attachment 150063
View attachment 150064

The soil in my yard is highly compacted sandy/rocky clay. It was like digging through soft concrete. At a certain point I did give in and bought a roto hammer with a clay spade bit to finish off the job.
View attachment 150065

I then was finally able to start installing the liner and rocking everything in. I went with a HDRPE liner due to cost and weight. It was super easy to work with in my opinion. The right side of the pond has a small intake bay with a single large aquablock in it and a 7 gallon bucket as a pump vault. The pump is a 4000gph connected to a 2' line that I attached to a basic control system to adjust the flow rate.

View attachment 150066View attachment 150067

Output of the pump goes into a 5 gallon bucket with three 2' lines coming out to feed the bottom of the bog. I went with this design to eliminate backflow when the pump is shut off as well as provide a spot for a clean out pump in the bog itself.
View attachment 150068View attachment 150069

It's been running for a few weeks now. As of last weekend I've planted in the pond, stream, and bog. Along with eliminating most of the major leaks from the stream. It's still loosing roughly 2-4gph by my calculations, but not bad for my first time and having cut down the liner so narrow along the watercourse.

I'll have to get some better pictures later, as most of the overall photos still have cloudy water from construction. The water is crystal clear now though and I'm hoping it stays that way! I introduced a few (~17) small goldfish into the pond this week as well. As of this morning most of them.either seem to be hiding in the rocks and fish cave, or have already been eaten by something. It's hard to tell. I love the way it all came together, and doing all the work by hand was extremely rewarding!

View attachment 150070View attachment 150071
Nice job! you're going to love it :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, that looks great. Thanks for sharing with us.

Did you DIY the control system for your pump? What can you share about that? I’m looking into motor speed control systems right now.
I built something basic using a dimmer switch in a weatherproof box. It's working fine so far.

Here's the finished pond by the way, featuring my dog:
PXL_20220428_232747286.jpg

I still have a lot of work to do to finish up the yard itself, but the centerpiece is looking how I envisioned it.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Very pretty pond (and cute dog). I really like your stream. Thanks for sharing. Please post more pictures when you start the landscaping.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Looks great! And using the bucket in the bog is a really nice idea. I also love the way you've used the different levels in your garden to good effect.

Ask a Question