Look at this fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Goldfish.jpg

The fish in the center of the shot was all gold a week ago, just like the one in the lower left. This color change happened within a period of two to three days. I thought it might have cotton fungus, I've dealt with that before, but this white coloration is not fluffy like the cotton fungus I had to treat on another of my fish. This fish appears and acts quite healthy. (The fish in the upper left edge has been that light color ever since I've had the pond.)

The pond gets full sunlight all day. Water chemistry is excellent, (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates practically nil, pH steady at 8.5) You can see how clear it is. The fish survive well on bugs and algae, I don't feed them.

Is this normal?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Fish can and do change colors rapidly and sometimes repeatedly. I have one comet that has changed from bright orange to almost white and back again several times in a number of years. He seems to have settled on a color now, but who knows! And when he does change it happens in a day or two, just like you mentioned.

Some people say it's a result of water quality or other factors, but if they fish appears healthy, I wouldn't worry about it.

Not that you should worry about it, but the bit of foaming you have could be the result of DOCs. It's not harmful, but you may want to make sure you don't have any organic material decaying in the pond. Spawning can also cause it, as can heavy rainfall, so it's just one thing to be aware of!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
There is a large waterfall not visible in the picture. I think that's where the foaming comes from.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Goldfish, especially, can and will change colors. I see it more in my younger fish. As long as the fish don’t appear I’ll and their behavior is normal, it’s nothing to worry about.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think that's where the foaming comes from.

The waterfall does create the foam, but it's foaming from the excess phosphates in the water. Normal agitation from the waterfall should dissipate very quickly. When it holds together like that and floats across the water, that's more than just agitation. Like I said, yours is minor - just something to watch!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I am a noob to water chemistry. Are phosphates something that can be tested for, and maybe I should be testing for?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Sooo, it turns out that the municipal water I use has phosphates in it. I ordered a phosphate test kit to find out just how much is in the water. Then I'll decide if I need to do anything about it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I believe your thinking of proteins forsurface foam and phosphates are a contributer to algae growth Poteins are usually death from something

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I believe your thinking of proteins forsurface foam and phosphates are a contributer to algae growth

Yup. The proteins create the foam, but the phosphates play a part in keeping the foam together. That's why they removed the phosphates from laundry detergents years ago as they would make their way to natural waterways and you'd see streams and rivers full of foam.

Ask a Question