Looking for a fluidized bed sand filter in a pvc pipe I saw on youtube.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I once watched an good youtube video of a guy who had made a fluidized sand filter with one pvc pipe inside another pvc pipe. This filter was almost a polishing filter. He had a good way to adjust it that kept the sand in the inner pipe. But I do not remember what it was. So I would like to watch it again. It was really the first time I understood how to properly build one. If anyone knows what I am talking about given my vague details I would really like to watch it again. It was definitely some sort of diy build. Alternatively If you have a fluidized sand filter by all means contribute.

Reaction score
This seems really unique, i'll be keeping my eye on this thread, I am interested in learning more about this method of filtration.

Reaction score
Topofthehill,

I tried searching for the video you mentioned, but I have had no luck yet. Were you planning to use the fluidized sand filter for an aquarium or for a pond? If I happen to find the video you were looking for, I will repost with the link.

I did stumble upon this video, however and thought you might appreciate it. It is just something different along the DIY line. I have been designing my own DIY moving bed media filter using Kaldness media for my 800 - 900 gallon tank. I think this guy is using his design just for a large aquarium, but I really like the results of how the Kaldness media is flowing (moving) about in the system.

Gordy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Catfishnut,

Thanks for posting. When I stumbled on the video I think I was looking for some kind of matala filter. But after looking up so much stuff I can't really remember what I typed in the search box. You know how sometimes other things just pop up after a search. I was thinking about it for a pond. But I think if you have an aquarium and an extra aquarium lying around it looks like a great idea. Even if you have a moderate size aquarium. I would love to have a 900 gallons aquarium. I saw some aquarium sand ones on youtube but they didn't seem to have the flow of the one you posted. I was trying to think ahead to next year for my pond. I remember the video because his had good circulation and a pretty easy way to adjust the flow.

Ask a Question