Looking for a good predatory fish for my pond

Reaction score
What I'm looking for is a really good predatory fish for my 2500 gallon pond. I currently have 3 Koi and about 20 goldfish in it. I'm trying to keep the numbers down but they are breeding like crazy. I would like something that stays fairly small and has a small mouth so it can't take down larger fish. I would also like something that I don't have to remove as it grows to large. Any idea's on some kind of fish that fits this bill? Thanks...

Reaction score
I have a ton of fry and quite a few that already has grown to the size the other fish can't eat them now... I'm quite worried. I don't want to have extra fish to deal with. I want to keep my pond very lean with fish so it's easier to deal with. I would still appreciate some suggestions on true predatory fish that would work in my system...

Reaction score
Yeah, I know... I was thinking of something along some type of bass however a large mouth will get big quick and could possibly get to the size of taking down very large fish. Also would be hard to catch out of the pond. I just know that fry are making it in my system and I can see right now that I'm going to have a crowding issue before long unless I do something about it now... :banghead3:

Reaction score
haha, yeah, I can see it now, every fall I would have to take my pole and spinner bait out and go fishing...

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
Great circle of life you would have there!

Get a baby bass in spring.
The bass eats the eggs and fry all summer.
The bass eats pellet food in fall... chock full of vitamins and carbs!
You eat the bass.
Rinse and repeat! LOL

Reaction score
I'm thinking a single bluegill might be the solution ( or at least a better solution than I have now ). Their mouths stay really small and they would fair well over winter and I could just leave it be. I'm still researching though....

Reaction score
Where are you? If you post on Craigslist (etc.), I bet other pond-keepers would love a shot at some free pond fishies! :profile: Perhaps you could even trade?

(or if it gets out of hand, you could start a small business....) :eek2:

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
I would not recommend perch.

Perch are the first fish to die off in a polluted ecosystem. Koi and goldies are dirty fish. I just do not think that a perch will do well... and may actually go belly up.

Reaction score
Thanks, I started talking on a North American fish forum and decided after talking to them to get a couple of Green Pickerels. They should never reach the size to eat my bigger fish but are very effective predators and will do well through the winter. Thanks for the replies...

Reaction score
Jasonmo928, I cannot directly answer your question, as I have never tried that approach. A single bluegill, properly fed, will grow to about 10 inches. They are EXTREMELY territorial when mating (not a problem with only one), I do not know how bad they are other times. A crappie (also known as a Calico Bass) might work as well, although they grow slightly larger (not as large as a bass). They are in the family Centrarchidae, same as the bluegill. They are quite active in the winter, being a popular ice-fishing quarry. The good news, if it does become too large, they are considered one of the most delicious native freshwater fish in America.

I have a pond half the size of yours with about half as many fish. I too have a number of fry that survived past the fish food stage, fifteen last year. I decided to give most of them away, until that is, I actually tried to net them. The first one took about ten seconds, the second one about a half hour. I did not catch another one for about two weeks. Anyone who thinks goldfish are dumb or have a short memory should try netting a second one in a pond full of plants.

I have more fry again this year, still very small. I do not know how many will survive, but they will have to go. I will probably net them very early next spring when the water is still cold and there are no plants in the water. I do though have concerns about stressing the fish at that time of the year.

A heron took a few this spring, but is also took a few of the adults. Now if I could only teach the heron which fish it can eat, problem solved.

Another idea I had running around inside my head was to place a large screen or net of some type on the bottom of the pond, with line tied to each corner. After a few days (or how ever long it takes) when the fish become used to it I would feed them over the net and then quickly lift it. It all sounds too easy, I am sure.

Good luck with whatever you try.

Ask a Question