Looking for a small Bio Filter

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a 450-475 gallon pond currently with no fish (just lillies). Current filtration consists of an older Pond Sweep skimmer with a net (for large debris) and a matala mat. The water fall pool has a bunch of small rocks to act as a biofilter. I was looking into getting a small external biofilter to run in case I do decide on adding fish this season. Here is what I found:

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5163+5186+5332&pcatid=5332

I wanted to know if this will suffice and if anyone has used one or have heard from others if this one is decent. I'm on a tight budget so under $100 is ideal.

Thanks,

Lew

Reaction score
Don't walk, but rather RUN from this filter. It' very cheap, yes, but you get what you pay for. The cover is nearly impossible to open once it's filled and "pressurized" (which it really isn't), and it leaks like crazy. I had this filter many, many moons ago when I was a noob with my first pond and ditched it in the trash after 2 weeks. Waste of money. I'm always surprised this thing is still on the market.

You should be building yourself a small DIY filter out of a 30 gallon barrel (see our DIY section). If you do want to go the store bought route, go with a true pressure filter, like the laguna pressure flo. THese are really solid pressure filters for small ponds. Buy one that is good for twice the gallons your pond will actually have.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i have one i used with success but you'll have to have it up hill from your falls...maybe a pressre filter might be your best bet. unless you want to redo your falls with a DIY FILTER like this:
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/koiguys-70-gal-skippy-style-filter-t5089.html or one of the 55 gallon filters. even built with a smaller container
as far as leaks with the tetrapond filter you have to assemble it, so who caused the leaks? mine never leaked and i had no problem opening it.

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies!

Due to lack of space, the filter would need to be lower than the waterfall. So I guess I would need a pressure filter???

Reaction score
Little Giant brand is largely crap. The biovort is junk and hard to open. I guess of the three the tetra is the better option, but not at good as the Laguna.

Check ebay for the Laguna, you might be able to find it cheaper. Or PM DoDad here on this site. Not sure if he can get your the Laguna cheaper.

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
I have a Savio Water Master 2050gph solids pump. I'll check and see if Laguna recommends pump output with their filters.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Ask a Question