Looking for adhesive to make a liner patch

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am trying to make my own patches to repair our pond liner. I found a pond liner at a garage sale for $10 to use as the patches. Now I need to figure out an adhesive that isn't too expensive. I've been researching this for days. Out of desperation, I made a sample patch using gorilla glue. It's still curing. Any ideas? What have you used? Thanks, Judy in MOntana

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Gorilla glue just might work as it is a polyurathane glue and the adhesives people are recommending here are also polyurethane based. My only concern is that gorilla glue expands while it cures. That could be a problem.

Based on what others have said I picked up some

LOCTITE® PL® S30 POLYURETHANE ROOF &

FLASHING SEALANT

Found it at home depot.

3M 5200 Marine has also been suggested. (try Lowes)

Reaction score
Thanks Howard. Would I use these products like a glue to attach the patch to the liner? and then maybe seal around the edges?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Use a Marine type sealant or Adhesive, DO NOT use a 50/50 Epoxy! I used JB Weld Black Tube Grey Tube on a Preformed liner a year ago and it's still sealed after holding 80 gallons of water for a few months!

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Judy,

Cut a patch from scrap liner or a corner. Get both surfaces very very clean maybe rough it up with sandpaper (not sure if this is needed). Maybe wipe with alcohol. Clean is the key. Work on a flat surface if you can.

Reaction score
I found an old tube of RTV silicone adhesive sealant and made a sample patch. I'm trying different things until I get a chance to go to town. I also have to find out who carries those other products. Turns out my local Home Depot doesn't care the marine sealant that Howard suggested. But alas, we do have online shopping delivered right to your door. A must when you live out in the middle of no where.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
LOL Judy. I live in a small town but selection here is limited to basics.

Home depot carries (maybe past tense) the loctite. One store in Amarillo did not have it and I do not see it online any more.

The 3M 5200

Reaction score
I'm going to call around and see what I can come up with. It is going to be in the 70's this weekend so I really wanted to take care of this while it was still cool. But, if I can't find it locally, I'll do the amazon order. Thank you all for the help. I'll let you know how my samples turn out and what I end up doing.

Reaction score
Another quick question. I found DAP all purpose aquarium safe slicone adhesive sealant at my local ACE. Any advantages over silicone vs polyurethane?

Ask a Question